Regular Contributor

Then check out a new Netflix documentary called "Athlete A."  It tells the story of all the female gymnasts who brought abuse charges against Dr. Larry Nassar.  The videos of past/present gymnasts training and performing are incredible.  Somewhat of a replacement for this summer's (now-postponed) Olympics!

Would love to hear your thoughts on this documentary.

Regular Contributor

Re: If you love gymnastics . . .

Sorry, all - that should be gymnastics in my header!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I know Simone Biles (sp) has been quite passionate about this, as she should be.  But was she abused herself?  The reason I ask is because she was not one of the first ones to speak up, and I have not heard her talk about being abused, not that I am really keeping up on this story.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Re: If you love gymastics . . .

My husband saw this and has been raving about it.  I plan to watch soon as well.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Regular Contributor

@Puppy Lips - Yes, unfortunately Simone was also one of Larry's "victims."  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@joviolin wrote:

Then check out a new Netflix documentary called "Athlete A."  It tells the story of all the female gymnasts who brought abuse charges against Dr. Larry Nassar.  The videos of past/present gymnasts training and performing are incredible.  Somewhat of a replacement for this summer's (now-postponed) Olympics!

Would love to hear your thoughts on this documentary.

I'll be watching. Thanks for letting me know it's on. I do know a lot about this story. I don't know if you know, but Nassar started working with girls' athletic teams when he was 15. Imagine how many more victims there are. He was also not licensed to practice medicine in Texas while he worked on girls at the Károlyis' gymnastics ranch. I know I'd never consent to having pelvic floor intravaginal treatments for my young gymnast daughter. Whenever I hear this story I'm reminded of the famous experiments by Stanley Milgrim and obedience to authority figures; especially those authorities supposedly in the know, wearing their white coats. People are so likely to believe them. For a quick overview, see Wikipedia, "The Milgram Experiment." None was questioning the doctor being ungloved until another doctor witnessed Nassar with his own eyes. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

"The reason I ask is because she was not one of the first ones to speak up"

She was/is taking a "time out" because her brother has been charged w/murder.  

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

"The reason I ask is because she was not one of the first ones to speak up"

She was/is taking a "time out" because her brother has been charged w/murder.  

@Mz iMac Oh gosh.  Prayers to her family.  That is a lot to deal with.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Extremely well done documentary. Tragic story. Sometimes people's behavior disgusts me.

Honored Contributor

I watched it. It was good but there's plenty more to know about this story.