Honored Contributor

If you have Prime video, BEING THE RICARDOS is a don't miss

[ Edited ]

I'm giving it masses of stars.

Acting, editing, costume, and so much more were all done wonderfully. It seemed like so much more than an impersonation; it was more of an embodiment.

I need to go read more about these folks. So brilliant, so inventive, and so in tune with their dreams and direction. 

ETA: It's not "I Love Lucy." It's a recreation of their lives during a week of that show, with flashbacks woven in. Don't expect a comedy like I Love Lucy. Dates for release to Prime were pre-planned and not a reflection of how well it did in theaters. It's still in theaters now, in 2022.

Aaron Sorkin (who wrote and directed) on set with Nicole Kidman:

Aaron Sorkin on 'Being The Ricardos' | All Of It | WNYC

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: If you have Prime video, BEING THE RICARDOS is a don't miss

I recieved a email from amazon prime regarding that movie, I will have to watch it, I loved that show

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I so remember,all the Lucy shows, laughing till you cried,  she was a tough lady in real life ,and just brilliant. Her being on MERV GRIFFIN show ,and other's.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Watched it last night...haven't enjoyed a movie so much in ages. Nicole and Javier both had me mesmerized...great performances by both. And by JK and Nina also. And of course an Aaron Sorkin script usually doesn't disappoint.

Loved it!! 

I'm definitely rewatching it...maybe even tonight.

@GingerPeach You are correct about "embodiment" vs. impersonation. Which Nicole is so good at...she really knows how to dig deep and internally become that person...and she did. As far as the physicality though...I wasn't sure from clips I saw if I'd think they would both channel Lucy/Desi for me...but they absolutely did; surpassed my expectations!

There were times, little flashes in Nicole's eyes where her expression was so Lucy like...subtle things. And she had her smarts, confidence, the way she carried herself down! So did Javier. 

If you want to read something I recently read "Love Lucy" her autobiography that was published after her daughter found the unpublished manuscript after her mom died. Was a good read...started with her upbringing, through her early showbiz career, all through meeting Desi and I Love Lucy, Desilu and after the divorce. An interesting read.

Nicole Kidman needs an Oscar nom for this...she's such a courageous, bold, chameleon of an actress. And seems like such a down to earth, kind person too...as does her husband.

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Watched it last night...haven't enjoyed a movie so much in ages. Nicole and Javier both had me mesmerized...great performances by both. And by JK and Nina also. And of course an Aaron Sorkin script usually doesn't disappoint.

Loved it!! 

I'm definitely rewatching it...maybe even tonight.

@GingerPeach You are correct about "embodiment" vs. impersonation. Which Nicole is so good at...she really knows how to dig deep and internally become that person...and she did. As far as the physicality though...I wasn't sure from clips I saw if I'd think they would both channel Lucy/Desi for me...but they absolutely did; surpassed my expectations!

There were times, little flashes in Nicole's eyes where her expression was so Lucy like...subtle things. And she had her smarts, confidence, the way she carried herself down! So did Javier. 

If you want to read something I recently read "Love Lucy" her autobiography that was published after her daughter found the unpublished manuscript after her mom died. Was a good read...started with her upbringing, through her early showbiz career, all through meeting Desi and I Love Lucy, Desilu and after the divorce. An interesting read.

Nicole Kidman needs an Oscar nom for this...she's such a courageous, bold, chameleon of an actress. And seems like such a down to earth, kind person too...as does her husband.

@amyb , @GingerPeach 

Yes!  Love Lucy was a great read.  She was raw with honesty, showed her heart on her sleeve.  My eyes welled up a few times reading.  

Didn't realize how much Ginger Roger's mother influenced Lucy's career (along with a lot of other starlets), so the next book I read was by Ginger.  

Can't wait to watch the Ricardos.

Trusted Contributor

I would love to see it but I won't go to the theater right now and I don't have subscription online TV services, just my cable.   Wish they didn't make it so hard to watch TV these days.

I watched some excerpts and Nicole really nailed Lucy's mannerisms and voice quality.   There was a lot behind the comedian that we didn't know.

Honored Contributor

I’ll have to watch it. My sister told me it was good.

Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back wrote:

I would love to see it but I won't go to the theater right now and I don't have subscription online TV services, just my cable.   Wish they didn't make it so hard to watch TV these days.

I watched some excerpts and Nicole really nailed Lucy's mannerisms and voice quality.   There was a lot behind the comedian that we didn't know.

I don't know if you have Prime at all, but just in case, it's included free and you could watch it on your computer.

Not ideal, I know. I've watched shows like that before I got wifi, @Black Cat Back 

Honored Contributor

@amyb 

Thank you for the book recommendation. It's going high on the list.

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Black Cat Back wrote:

I don't know if you have Prime at all, but just in case, it's included free and you could watch it on your computer.

Not ideal, I know. I've watched shows like that before I got wifi, @Black Cat Back 

Thank you for replying.  I don't have Prime.   It's so hard to afford all these technical things we need nowadays.  I wish I had more time to be knowledgeable about these new things, but there aren't enough hours in a day.

Thank you for letting me know about that feature on Amazon.