Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you execs continue to put our favorite shows on streaming, I'm leaving.

Our Frontier bill for phone-internet-cable is around $230 a month, including taxes, and service charges. We have close to one hundred channels, many of which I watch. Doesn't include HBO and other movie channels. Recently we got  NFL Network added for only $5 a month extra. Also get ESPN channels and NBC Sports. Along with NFL Game Pass, I get as many NFL games as I want. I'm OK with this package, no interest in signing up for streaming services.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@sueinsf wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Your lucky because local sports team programming in some TV markets are restricted and/or the streaming services dont want to pay extra fees to get the local rights to sports programming....(My sis has gone round and round with You Tube TV since they changed and she cant watch our local NBA Spurs, unless they broadcast the game on a national channel (which is rare for a small market team)

@Spurt Interesting but this past weekend, Peacock streamed the Giants/Phillies games instead of them being broadcast and while I could get Peacock (free I think) with my Xfinity cable subscription, I have low bandwidth and can't stream with my current internet provider (I know...who can't stream??).  So I was so annoyed that I couldn't watch the games!!  If you're a sports fan (and I am too) then that is a plus for cable over some other options.  One of my neighbors was telling me how much she liked You Tube TV but she doesn't watch sports.  And obviously I'm not signing up for any streaming services...

@sueinsf 

I understand what you are going through, and its a valuable lesson on streaming services.... The NFL is going to start broadcasting Thursday Night Games on Amazon this season....so its just the beginning of the move to streaming JMHO....

My sister was furious (she like me is an NFL and NBA Spurs fans) when she signed up for You Tube TV they DID offer the Fox Sports 1 channel including the Spurs games, and she confirmed with them that included all the games....Well then You Tube TV found out that to broadcast this channel they would have to pay an exorbitant rights fee, and based on the number of subscribers You Tube wouldnt be making enough of a profit so they deleted the channel and Subscribers were FURIOUS---no Spur's/NBA games!!! The reason the Subscribers chose You Tube becaue they were the only streaming service that offered the games and this sports channel----They found out what the cable services did regarding the cost of broadcasting sports programs---this is one reason cable rates are high!!! So if you want to watch sports---cable is STILL the way to go....for now any way...........(and if you are a fan of team thats not in your TV market then Direct TV and the NFL Ticket is the way to go.....exclusive license with the NFL....Direct TV will sometimes offer it for free the first year, then you get socked with a $400 bill in the future to continue watching the game ....I think thats one of the resons Direct TV can remain in business, their contract with the NFL....or you live in a rural area with Direct TV as the only option)....

Press Release regarding You Tube---

You Tube will no longer offer Regional Sports Networks.  You Tube did have a short term deal with FOX RSNs---Fox Regional Sports Networks for MLB, NHL, and NBA----on YouTube TV, but that will end October 1, 2020. If your area is impacted by this channel loss, you'll be notified in the YouTube TV app soon. Lots of angry YouTube TV customers on Twitter.

And here's what You Tube did to MLB Yankee fans--

Capture.PNG

But even without sports....the channels I like including the cost of high speed internet and no bundling would cost me $35 a more per year to cut the cord...SMH!

@Spurt Wow - I'd be furious too!!  I'm thinking of switching my internet service provider as soon as I see a good introductory deal (and I thought I just saw one advertised).  Granted, it's only cheap for a year and I have to see how much it would skyrocket to after that.  I also may be able to bundle my cable and internet to save a litte bit at that point.  

It would allow me to stream on Amazon and Netflix (which would actually cut my cost) as well as Peacock (which I get free but can't access now) not to mention I'd have much faster internet speed for everything else (and I work from home so that's a plus).  That's probably enough streaming for me certainly for now.  But I do not want to be signing up for a bunch of other streaming services - even though I too see more and more programming going that route.  

Super Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I've been streaming for 2 years and would not go back to cable. I only pay for HULU Plus at $55 a month vs my cable bill which was over $150. I get all the cable news (Fox, CNN, MSNBC Etc), sports, food channels plus almost very other channel I could watch. There isn't one thing on any channel I must watch on a regular basis. I also have Roku (free) Amazon (not free but reasonable) plus antenna tv. I have more than enough to watch. I got sick of cable when I realized I was paying for 60 plus channels of nothing  but infomercials, plus all the  kiddy shows, religion and music channels that I never watched. They say they give you over 200 channels but 90% are worthless. When they raised by bill by $65 a month that was the end of DirectTV.

@Meowingkitty 

But isnt there a cost for your high speed internet too, to watch Hulu and Roku ???? Unless you use Prime and download Prime Shows and watch offline on your phone...

Your lucky because local sports team programming in some TV markets are restricted and/or the streaming services dont want to pay extra fees to get the local rights to sports programming....(My sis has gone round and round with You Tube TV since they changed and she cant watch our local NBA Spurs, unless they broadcast the game on a national channel (which is rare for a small market team)

Direct TV is a satellite service rather than cable...and I would defintiely cut the cord rather than going with Direct TV---heard the horror sotries....it seems like everyday they are raising the price, yet deleting a channel or threatening to do so....Im not putting up with that....but I feel sorry for some areas where thats the only choice.....Woman Sad

I live in a rural area and my only choice 15 years ago  was Dish/Direct TV and it was a disaster. You either got a beautiful picture or a blue screen, and no local stations. Once Comcast came in our area we switched the next day. I wish I could cut the cord but the trees in my area are not satellite friendly. Personally I wouldn't switch anyway, too many mother nature factors mess up the feed plus the local station $$ fights that cause blackouts. 

Comcast is not cheapest around, but with all of the electronics, programing and extras we have in the house, the package we have with them is worth it. I would rather have a physical cable than deal with satellite again. 

Respected Contributor

Noticed Q2 and HSN2 are on the Spectrum roster now, but you have to pay extra.  Wow.

Honored Contributor

I will never be streaming also.  I have a huge stash of wonderful movies on DVD from decades ago to present, and can live without what I do watch on tv if it came to that.  I am tired of comcast raising the fee so often, they tell me it is the internet that keeps rising, not the tv program package, so one way or another, they get us.

DH couldn't do without the cable news, and now his baseball games are being streamed, so is not a happy camper about that.