Honored Contributor

Re: If you execs continue to put our favorite shows on streaming, I'm leaving.

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I've been streaming for 2 years and would not go back to cable. I only pay for HULU Plus at $55 a month vs my cable bill which was over $150. I get all the cable news (Fox, CNN, MSNBC Etc), sports, food channels plus almost very other channel I could watch. There isn't one thing on any channel I must watch on a regular basis. I also have Roku (free) Amazon (not free but reasonable) plus antenna tv. I have more than enough to watch. I got sick of cable when I realized I was paying for 60 plus channels of nothing  but infomercials, plus all the  kiddy shows, religion and music channels that I never watched. They say they give you over 200 channels but 90% are worthless. When they raised by bill by $65 a month that was the end of DirectTV.

@Meowingkitty 

But isnt there a cost for your high speed internet too, to watch Hulu and Roku ???? Unless you use Prime and download Prime Shows and watch offline on your phone...

Your lucky because local sports team programming in some TV markets are restricted and/or the streaming services dont want to pay extra fees to get the local rights to sports programming....(My sis has gone round and round with You Tube TV since they changed and she cant watch our local NBA Spurs, unless they broadcast the game on a national channel (which is rare for a small market team)

Direct TV is a satellite service rather than cable...and I would defintiely cut the cord rather than going with Direct TV---heard the horror sotries....it seems like everyday they are raising the price, yet deleting a channel or threatening to do so....Im not putting up with that....but I feel sorry for some areas where thats the only choice.....Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

They want you to go to streaming and ditch your cable/satellite.  That way they can eliminate the middle men.

LOL, There will always be a middle man. 

@Nuttmeg 

You are rigt, there will be someone somewhere that they have to pay the studio producing the programming or pay for the rights to own or lease classic TV shows and movies...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I watch Restaurant Impossible on tape.  Yesterday I noticed Season 17 will be on streaming.  I'm not paying for all that extra, our satellite bill is huge to start with.  I have a fiend who doesn't have cable or satellite, she goes all streaming on Roku. The problem is she can't get cable news.

@depglass 

Im not paying extra for these streaming services either!

Some people have data limits on their devices, and some people have complained about freezing and buffering too....plus all these streaming services nickle and dime you to death....People may save money streaming, but some are also sacrificing some channels that they used to enjoy watching via cable, when they "cut the cord"....The streaming services also put the most popular programs in another tier that costs more of course!..

My sis switched to You Tube TV....she gets the news channels, but not much live programming, and You Tube also has deleted some channels like live sports too....

Oh you can try an antenna to pick up local news and other channels, but thats ONLY if your area is in the right spot from the transmitter....my area has very few via antenna, for some odd reason there are duplicate QVC and Q2 channels to chose from but very little else...😄

@Spurt 

I live in a rural area and our options are very limited all the way around.  But 'they' don't care since we don't have the numbers for them to have to cater to.  

Just like our grocery stores that keep closing because they don't make enough money to keep the doors open.  And older people that can't make all these transitions are dispensable too.

It's what's happening now.  It's always what's happened.😡

@geezerette 

Rural areas have few choices, it's downright unfair...I have a relative thats stuck in the same position as you....

And dont you know all these streaming services are just waiting for the day when the cable companies are driven out of business, and they will more than likely jack up the prices to similar to what cable had cost or perhaps even more...and then all the municipalities and states will want their fair share of "the streaming pie" and start making the streaming services pay all the surcharges and fees like they did to cable too...(not having to pay these fees is one way the streaming services can charge less too...but you wonder for how much longer)..The consumer just cant win for losing...Woman Frustrated

@Spurt 

I remember when the cable/satellite services were new and the draw to actually pay for TV was that there were no commercials.  It was kind of neat because with our satellite during the network breaks you could see and hear what the new anchors were doing.  It was great for people like us who had over the air antennas up to the sky and even then could only bring in one or two stations, and those were often spotty.

Of course the no commercial thing didn't last but for a few years.  Once satellites and cable got to be popular, they hiked up the subscription price and started showing commercials.  I'm sure streaming is headed the same way.  Just different people making the money.

Oh well.🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt    I cut the cord almost 4 years ago and never looked back.  Tried several streaming services and ended up with YouTube TV.  I get HD programming with my $12. antenna on the local channels.  With this and Netflix and  Prime Video, I've never had so many TV choices.  I'm perfectly content. 

@Kachina624 

Im glad you can get all the TV choices you like at a great price....But to get the sports programing I want to watch,  and the channels I like always seem to be on an extra tier, so it was going to cost me $35 extra month to switch from cable to go cordless --including my high speed internet (I guess my viewing preferences are weird or I watch too much football and local NBA basketball...😄)

My sister isnt all that happy with You Tube TV and live programming....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No idea if I'll end up ditching overpriced cable with a million channels but nothing worth watching or not but among the very last things I'd personally be concerned about should I choose to do so is losing news stations... That said, there is nothing I've found myself so mesmerized by on television that I feel like I need to follow it to streaming either... Television, overall, has become its own worst enemy.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I watch Restaurant Impossible on tape.  Yesterday I noticed Season 17 will be on streaming.  I'm not paying for all that extra, our satellite bill is huge to start with.  I have a fiend who doesn't have cable or satellite, she goes all streaming on Roku. The problem is she can't get cable news.

@depglass 

Im not paying extra for these streaming services either!

Some people have data limits on their devices, and some people have complained about freezing and buffering too....plus all these streaming services nickle and dime you to death....People may save money streaming, but some are also sacrificing some channels that they used to enjoy watching via cable, when they "cut the cord"....The streaming services also put the most popular programs in another tier that costs more of course!..

My sis switched to You Tube TV....she gets the news channels, but not much live programming, and You Tube also has deleted some channels like live sports too....

Oh you can try an antenna to pick up local news and other channels, but thats ONLY if your area is in the right spot from the transmitter....my area has very few via antenna, for some odd reason there are duplicate QVC and Q2 channels to chose from but very little else...😄

@Spurt 

I live in a rural area and our options are very limited all the way around.  But 'they' don't care since we don't have the numbers for them to have to cater to.  

Just like our grocery stores that keep closing because they don't make enough money to keep the doors open.  And older people that can't make all these transitions are dispensable too.

It's what's happening now.  It's always what's happened.😡

@geezerette 

Rural areas have few choices, it's downright unfair...I have a relative thats stuck in the same position as you....

And dont you know all these streaming services are just waiting for the day when the cable companies are driven out of business, and they will more than likely jack up the prices to similar to what cable had cost or perhaps even more...and then all the municipalities and states will want their fair share of "the streaming pie" and start making the streaming services pay all the surcharges and fees like they did to cable too...(not having to pay these fees is one way the streaming services can charge less too...but you wonder for how much longer)..The consumer just cant win for losing...Woman Frustrated

@Spurt 

I remember when the cable/satellite services were new and the draw to actually pay for TV was that there were no commercials.  It was kind of neat because with our satellite during the network breaks you could see and hear what the new anchors were doing.  It was great for people like us who had over the air antennas up to the sky and even then could only bring in one or two stations, and those were often spotty.

Of course the no commercial thing didn't last but for a few years.  Once satellites and cable got to be popular, they hiked up the subscription price and started showing commercials.  I'm sure streaming is headed the same way.  Just different people making the money.

Oh well.🤷‍♀️

@geezerette 

Well said...If people are getting the entertainmet they like and saving some money....good for them, but as the saying goes, they need to "make hay while the sun still shines" because we can realistically anticipate the direction this is all headed....

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

No idea if I'll end up ditching overpriced cable with a million channels but nothing worth watching or not but among the very last things I'd personally be concerned about should I choose to do so is losing news stations... That said, there is nothing I've found myself so mesmerized by on television that I feel like I need to follow it to streaming either... Television, overall, has become its own worst enemy.

@stevieb 

So true, Im seeing nothing advertised on streaming that I feel is worth signing up for.... 

The news channels are encouraging those that cut the cord to watch through their APPS, but the carriers get you another way with data cap limits unless you pay extra for that....Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I've been streaming for 2 years and would not go back to cable. I only pay for HULU Plus at $55 a month vs my cable bill which was over $150. I get all the cable news (Fox, CNN, MSNBC Etc), sports, food channels plus almost very other channel I could watch. There isn't one thing on any channel I must watch on a regular basis. I also have Roku (free) Amazon (not free but reasonable) plus antenna tv. I have more than enough to watch. I got sick of cable when I realized I was paying for 60 plus channels of nothing  but infomercials, plus all the  kiddy shows, religion and music channels that I never watched. They say they give you over 200 channels but 90% are worthless. When they raised by bill by $65 a month that was the end of DirectTV.

@Meowingkitty 

But isnt there a cost for your high speed internet too, to watch Hulu and Roku ???? Unless you use Prime and download Prime Shows and watch offline on your phone...

Your lucky because local sports team programming in some TV markets are restricted and/or the streaming services dont want to pay extra fees to get the local rights to sports programming....(My sis has gone round and round with You Tube TV since they changed and she cant watch our local NBA Spurs, unless they broadcast the game on a national channel (which is rare for a small market team)

Direct TV is a satellite service rather than cable...and I would defintiely cut the cord rather than going with Direct TV---heard the horror sotries....it seems like everyday they are raising the price, yet deleting a channel or threatening to do so....Im not putting up with that....but I feel sorry for some areas where thats the only choice.....Woman Sad

Yes I pay $40 a month for high speed internet so my total for streaming and internet is a bit over $100 a month. When I had DirectTV after their most recent price increase I would have been paying around $230 a month for internet and lousy tv.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt  I made the choice long ago, I do not do 'apps'... I've downloaded none and plan to keep it that way... They're a pain in the arse more times than not, sap memory, data and so on, and I'm frankly tired of hearing about "our app"... Moreover, I use my phone as a phone, not as a computer, camera, movie screen, book, television or musical source other than very, very occasionally...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I've noticed that many shows you would find on "regular" TV are moving.  Conan announced he's leaving TBS for, I think HBO or HBO MAX.  It looks like many HGTV shows went to the Discovery Streaming.  I would love to cut the cable cord.  Been wanting to for years.  My husband said just about everyone he works with no longer has cable.