Honored Contributor

Re: If Beale Street Could Talk

What is this movie about? Regina King is an amazing actress. I rarely go to movies but would watch it at home.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4 wrote:

What is this movie about? Regina King is an amazing actress. I rarely go to movies but would watch it at home.

@colliemom4  See the post by  @Tique --   earlier in this thread!

Honored Contributor

The film has only been released thus far in select cities.  It has been well publicized on television channels that I have watched.  I think it opens in my city this Friday.

Respected Contributor

I just saw the movie.

It is tragic that the young man was framed for a rape he did not commit.

What was also interesting is that we are told in the begining that he was attending some sort of carpentry school which while it sparked his interest in wood sculpture, was not challenging enough - so he quit - and stole their equipment.  Apparently he was never charged with that crime.

His friend - who could have been a witness for him - had a criminal record. He was framed for stealing a car - when he couldn't even drive.  However, the sentence for that was less than for the illegal drugs he had when he was arrested, so he took a plea.

We are also told that the fathers of both the young man and his girlfriend are stealing from the garment district and illegally selling their stolen goods.  They are apparently never caught.

Not sure what to make of all this.  Clearly, we are to believe that the fathers and the two young men are good people.  So I guess crime is justified when it's against the system???

I also didn't understand - when the mother went to PR to see the rape victim to plead with her to retract her identification why - when the woman asked "how do you know it wasn't him?" - she didn't tell her it couldn't have been him because he was too far away - across town - at the time.  It seemed that the woman was willing to hear why it wasn't the man the police told her it was - and might have recanted - despite the pain it would cause her to go through the whole thing again.  But when the mother just said - because I know him - the woman shut down.

Honored Contributor

Haven't seen it yet, but will be on vacation in a couple of weeks, actually a staycation so I hope to be able to see it then.....