Honored Contributor

Re: IS ANYONE WATCHING MARRIED AT FIRST SIGHT?

@Free2be wrote:

This show often surprises me in that conflicts start so soon, even before the honeymoon is over.  I often wonder why it is the couples seemingly spend very little time in long and deep conversation asking questions at length, saying things like "tell me about your early life, what did you like to study, how do you spend quiet time, what foods do you love, what do people do that annoys you?"  There's a lifetime of formed personality to share.  I'd want to stay up all night talking!

They seem to wait for knowledge of the other to evolve but it comes too slow.  Irritations fill the void, feelings are hurt, there's nothing to hang onto.

@Free2be - I think they probably do get time to talk, but we don't see it. Once they return from their honeymoons most of the filming is done on nights and weekends, often until after midnight. Most of them have jobs they have to go to during the week. One contestant said all he wanted to do in his spare time was sleep! Add that to the fact there are producers coaching them and cameras in their faces! 

Respected Contributor

I love this show.  I am old enough to remember when being a virgin when you got married was the norm.  Everyone is acting like she has a disease that has to be handled carefully.   

Honored Contributor

I love this show -- I guess it's what you call a guilty pleasure!  I amsure some of it is staged or the filming is manipulated in a certain way to make it more interesting, but I would say the majority of it has to be real.

I am still not getting all the names yet, so bear with me, but, at the wedding reception when Iris told her new mother-in-law that she was a virgin and then the mother-in-law, immediately went to her son and told him, rather gleefully so it seemed, that his new bride was a virgin, that kind of made me upset.  First off, I think Iris should have kept that to herself and told her husband that first.  I was not mad at Iris for telling her mother-in-law -- I think she was probably just nervous, etc., but I don't think the mother-in-law should have hurried up and told her son and waited and let Iris tell her new husband.

As for the relationship between Elizabeth and her father --- yikes!  Of course, fathers are protective of their daughters but this is way over the top --- not healthy at all.

And the one other father who was sobbing outside the reception and then later really grilled the groom at the in-law luncheon and was giving him these steely, nasty looks was a bit overboared, as well.

Too soon to tell about this bunch -- but snippets they keep showing of future shows looks like its not all sunshine and roses! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

I am pretty sure that the show does not want rainbows and puppies for the couples - that does not make for an interesting show. Can you imagine a whole group of Bobby and Danielles? That was my first season and I thought they were adorable, but boring. So, they had bat-**** crazy Mia and Tristan for the entertainment.

Last season with Luke and Kate, i think they went way too far with what they produced, encouraged, scripted, etc. with how Kate was shown. If Luke is, as had been said on this board, "a nice guy," then we know how much people are edited the way the show wants. Lots of people are still talking about how Jasmine got the bad edit and Will was made to look good. I didn't get that, I just thought she was inflexible and they were not a good match, but seeing now that Jasmine and Mia have joined up for some collaboration, it makes me dislike both of them even more. And, it makes me mad at myself for allowing myself to watch this trash!

But, so far I am in for this season, unless the Elizabeth and Daddy show gets to be too much. And Jamie needs to get what he can from the honeymoon and then RUN!

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs  Yes, I am watching. Purely for entertainment, understanding that most of it is hype. I will say that Iris and her husband are a gorgeous couple. Her virginity is refreshing. I was a virgin in 1964 when I married and, as another poster mentioned, it was more the norm. Not so much now unfortunately.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I love this show.  I am old enough to remember when being a virgin when you got married was the norm.  Everyone is acting like she has a disease that has to be handled carefully.   

@chiclet   Yes, it's just like on The Bachelor when they made a big deal out of Colton being a virgin. Everyone is acting as if finding a virgin is some big deal. As if they finally found Bigfoot or something.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

This show often surprises me in that conflicts start so soon, even before the honeymoon is over.  I often wonder why it is the couples seemingly spend very little time in long and deep conversation asking questions at length, saying things like "tell me about your early life, what did you like to study, how do you spend quiet time, what foods do you love, what do people do that annoys you?"  There's a lifetime of formed personality to share.  I'd want to stay up all night talking!

They seem to wait for knowledge of the other to evolve but it comes too slow.  Irritations fill the void, feelings are hurt, there's nothing to hang onto.

@Free2be   It seems like all of them are always super excited at first. They keep saying that the person they were matched with is exactly what they were looking for and that this person is perfect. How can you know that after 5 minutes of knowing them? Sure, they may seem like a nice person but you don't know their personality at all and as we've seen in previously seasons that some of them turn out to be complete opposites.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I love this show -- I guess it's what you call a guilty pleasure!  I amsure some of it is staged or the filming is manipulated in a certain way to make it more interesting, but I would say the majority of it has to be real.

I am still not getting all the names yet, so bear with me, but, at the wedding reception when Iris told her new mother-in-law that she was a virgin and then the mother-in-law, immediately went to her son and told him, rather gleefully so it seemed, that his new bride was a virgin, that kind of made me upset.  First off, I think Iris should have kept that to herself and told her husband that first.  I was not mad at Iris for telling her mother-in-law -- I think she was probably just nervous, etc., but I don't think the mother-in-law should have hurried up and told her son and waited and let Iris tell her new husband.

As for the relationship between Elizabeth and her father --- yikes!  Of course, fathers are protective of their daughters but this is way over the top --- not healthy at all.

And the one other father who was sobbing outside the reception and then later really grilled the groom at the in-law luncheon and was giving him these steely, nasty looks was a bit overboared, as well.

Too soon to tell about this bunch -- but snippets they keep showing of future shows looks like its not all sunshine and roses! 

@AngelPuppy1   I agree. I thought it was so inappropriate for Ketih's mom to tell him that Iris is a virgin. Who says something like that to their son? I feel like most of these people have very strange/too close relationships with their parents.

Trusted Contributor

Plus, @HSB1204, Keith's mother kept asking him if he knew the significance of a white dress? He's a guy - I am sure white to him is the same as it is to most people - cream, ivory, etc. are all just "white." Most brides pick the shade of white that looks the best on their skin. Again, director instigated. But, Iris looked gorgeous. They are a beautiful looking couple. I hope it works for them. I think they stand a chance more than any of the others so far.

Just like the pretend drama of paging Matt's mother for the mother-son wedding dance. They knew she wasn't there.

Respected Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

Plus, @HSB1204, Keith's mother kept asking him if he knew the significance of a white dress? He's a guy - I am sure white to him is the same as it is to most people - cream, ivory, etc. are all just "white." Most brides pick the shade of white that looks the best on their skin. Again, director instigated. But, Iris looked gorgeous. They are a beautiful looking couple. I hope it works for them. I think they stand a chance more than any of the others so far.

Just like the pretend drama of paging Matt's mother for the mother-son wedding dance. They knew she wasn't there.

@Lisa now in AZ   Yes, I also thought it was weird that Keith's mom asked Iris about her white dress. The producers probably told her. I know they've never had a virgin on the show before but even if you suspected that there was probably a meaning behind the white dress, who asks a woman who's pretty much a stranger if it means something?

The mother-son wedding dance was so staged it wasn't even funny. I was getting kind of annoyed when the DJ kept asking for Matt's mom to come up and dance with her son. The producers knew she wasn't there but it seemed better to humiliate him and embarrass him in front of his bride and her family. It was also convenient that all of a sudden each bride/groom was having one-on-one breakfast with their spouse's family when they knew Matt's family wasn't there.