Honored Contributor

Re: INSIDE THE "HART TO HART" HOUSE NOW FOR SALE

Yeah, I thought that too, @Eileen in Virginia -- it was quite unpretentious, given the Harts' 'fabled wealth', ha.   Seemed comfy and sort of "old California" to me... 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Slightly off topic but... When Hart to Hart first aired back in the day, I loved it and watched every episode. Now if I see a repeat on HM&M channel (when I'm too lazy to change the channel from the previous show I watched) I hate it!  Clearly my tastes have changed!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, for some reason, back when it was on, I hardly ever saw it.  Now that it's on FETV, I've caught a few episodes, but it's not quite for me. 

I like husband and wife detective teams, but I like Nick and Nora Charles, of "The Thin Man" fame.  They adored each other too, but were not above a sardonic jab (in good fun) at each other either...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Wow, @SharkE, you always have the inside skinny.  I never knew about Stefanie Powers' cancer.  She seems to have survived it, thank goodness.  She was on TCM not that long ago, telling stories during their tribute to William Holden, looking quite good.

yeah, she wrote a book can't remember the title on Amazon I'm sure

I got mine at library.

Wagner, has written couple. Unfortunately, Powers had smoked probably to stay so thin for the show. She paid the price as most do. She had quit, then,  seems like when Bill Holden died she started again. Wood and Holden died within couple of weeks of each other. The nature of Natalie's death kind of knocked Holden off the front page.

Honored Contributor

That was a thoroughly enjoyable tour. I still love RJ. I never missed the show and could only dream of being Stefanie (playing RJ's wife). I agree that the house looks very Old Hollywood....ahhhh the good old days.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

What a neat show-biz provenance.  Of course, I think of it as the "D i c k Powell-Hart to Hart" house, as it was originally Powell and June Allyson's home.  Apparently Robert Wagner, a friend, was in love with the house when Powell owned it, and helped secure it for filming when the "Hart to Hart" series started.

Not only that, but it was also used in my beloved "Mannix" and in "Mission Impossible".

It's so sprawling, isn't it?  Could be such a comfortable family house.  In the photos that "Hooked on Houses" show from the series, it's rather dark inside and ornate in the typical 80's style of decorating. At the time, it seemed such a good setting for "Jonathan and Jennifer Hart", ha.  A "light and bright" approach makes it very palatable for today's homeowners, blows away the cobwebs...

https://hookedonhouses.net/2019/04/08/hart-to-hart-house/

@Oznell   Some friend.   That had to be a terrible inconvenience for Powell to have the series filmed there.  I wouldn't do that to a friend!  Smiley Happy

Speaking of this show, Lionel Stander (Max), whose voice drives me nuts, is an interesting guy.  He was one of the founders of the Screen Actor's Guild.  He was called to testify before the House on Unamerican Activities Committee (HUAC), was labeled a Communist, and blacklisted.  Look at the entry for him on Wiki - it's pretty darn interesting.

Valued Contributor

Hello, @Pearlee!  I’m pretty sure Richard Powell died years before Hart to Hart. I don’t know if June Allyson lived there after his death or not. I think she remarried.  Regardless, I love that house!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I also think the house was probably in other hands by the time Wagner thought of trying to get it for his show.  He probably had good memories of visiting there when the Powells lived there, and had always liked it....

Shows how a memorable house can get its hooks in you!  I have various houses like that in my past, that I still remember fondly and had wished were mine...

ETA--  Boy, agreed, Lionel Stander was interesting, and his career went way, way back. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing this!  I used to love this show and thought they were both so glamorous!  I thought the little dog was precious!  Yes, who knew that the house and grounds were so immense?  Wonder why they covered over the pool???  That's crazy.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin