Esteemed Contributor

Re: IN THEIR OWN WORDS: DIANA, PRINCESS OF WALES. SUN. 8PM PBS

@Pearlee - Thanks for the alert.  My DVR is set, it should be interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the program, since I like documentaries. Last week it was Chuck Berry, and I thought it particularly interesting  what Mrs. Berry had to say. 

So Diana or whomever.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for this information.  I am very interested in all things British, including the royal family.  Diana was so very young when she married and had no idea of what she was getting into.  I also think Charles was pushed into marriage.

Despite her flaws, I remember Diana as a loving and kind soul.  

Honored Contributor

@grandma r - I TOTALLY agree with you. I was almost twice her age and she and I were experiencing first pregnancies at almost the same time.

I can remember how poorly equipped she seemed to have taken on the numerous burdens in her life, and the tragedy of what quickly seemed like a crush foisted on a naive school girl and a stuffy professor several years her senior.

With time, blood, swear, tears and all of it, life does seem to have a way of ultimately sorting things out, but it's almost always sad to view things happening in real time.

Honored Contributor

Reminder this is on tonight. 👑

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Pearlee .

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
I'm a couple years younger then Diana was and didn't know she was divorced from Charles when she passed.

I do remember her wedding and thought... why is she marrying this old guy.

I was busy living my life while she lived hers. I do think of her fondly for her kindness to others.
When she passed I felt bad for her children.

I have learned more about her after her death. She really was too young to marry Charles at that point in her life,I think. I do think she loved him but he loved somebody else. I think she should have turned Charles down and I think her life would have been better. Different and Happy.

@Brisky 

Well, at the time, Charles was the most eligible bachelor and, believe it or not, was considered a "catch".  Ugh.  Plus she was a virgin, which was supposedly a big deal.  

I thought he was unattractive and since he'd never lived a "normal" life, he'd be extremely difficult to deal with.  Unfortunately, Diana didn't have a crystal ball ... or all the facts about her husband and his former girlfriend.  Pity.

What I found interesting was that Diana had a tough time finding her footing in the RF.  So did Sarah after marrying Andrew.  No one took them under their wing and I blame the queen for that ... a lousey mother in law, if you ask me.  

Well, time goes by, and decades later both Kate and Meghan had difficulties finding their footing.  Shows me that these people are too wrapped up in themselves to care about others ... unless the cameras are on them.

Honored Contributor

Bummer, my local pbs station is showing it Tuesday at 8pm.

Trusted Contributor

Just finished watching this. Not a lot new, in terms of what we know about her, but some good perspective on her evolution from her frustrating existence within the RF to becoming her own woman and humanitarian. Lovely to see some video and pictures of her. Sad to re-live her death and the collective sadness afterward. I will admit I cried. Definitely worth the watch and I may even purchase the Andrew Norton book now it's been confirmed she "wrote" it.

Honored Contributor

One point I think is important is that she could not have been some naive young thing with no idea about the culture and situation of Royalty and Prince Charles--despite her shy look.  She could not have been unaware of him and his past.

DIana was raised with and around the Royal Family.  Her grandmother, Lady Fermoy, was a close friend of the Queen (she was a lady in waiting to the Queen) and the Queen Mother.  

Diana's father was an Earl, and her family lived on Sandringham estate in a house rented from Queen Elizabeth during her growing up years.  

When the royal family was at Sandringham House, she played with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.

Her family was titled and important for centuries.  She was raised with royalty and knowing about it.  She had to have known how many prior kings, princes and others in that world operated.  Her older sister had dated Charles.

I cannot imagine what gossip is passed in those circles and it was not unknown for infidelity.  I think they both wanted out of the marriage even before they wed, and in truth I think it would have been better had they both kept quiet and either spit or stayed together quietly for the children. 

I also have known many many happy marriages where couples were 10 or 15 years apart in age.  I don't see that as a big deal in and of itself.