Honored Contributor

IMITATION OF LIFE CLAUDETTE COLBERT LOUISE BEAVERS TUESDAY 9:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

9:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Imitation of Life"  Claudette Colbert, Louise Beavers, Fredi Washington, Warren William

This 1934 film version of Fannie Hurst's novel is a must-see for those familiar with the later, Fifties version.   Claudette Colbert is a widow with a toddler, struggling to follow in her late husband's maple syrup production footsteps.  Fate brings job-seeking Louise Beavers to her door, who quickly becomes her housekeeper, closest confidante, and business associate, although she wants to downplay that.

Both have difficult daughters.  Ultimately, Claudette's daughter comes between Claudette and her suitor, Warren William.  Louise Beavers' biracial daughter (Fredi Washington) is deeply resentful of the societal stress she will face as an African American woman, and wants to pass as white.  Her loving mother is heart-broken at this rejection, as she struggles to understand her restless, conflicted daughter. 

Colbert, Beavers and Washington are perfect for their respective roles in this historically significant film.  Some of the difficulties are glossed over, but others are explored with some discernment.  We get to see the beautiful, elusive Fredi Washington, an African American actress, who had an all-too brief film career.  She was a complex, dynamic figure, who explored cabaret, radio, theater and journalism in the course of her multifaceted career...

Although ostensibly partly a rags-to-riches story, this film is also a moving depiction of its difficult societal times, with the Louise Beavers role especially, eliciting our sympathy, respect and tears. 

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1258535/Imitation-Of-Life-Movie-Clip-I-Wanna-Be-White.html

Honored Contributor

Re: IMITATION OF LIFE CLAUDETTE COLBERT LOUISE BEAVERS TUESDAY 9:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Excellent description and information of this revealing meaningful movie, Oxnell !!  No matter how many times I have seen this one and the Lana Turner version, I cry.  Very well done, great acting and a story line to hold your interest.

Respected Contributor

Re: IMITATION OF LIFE CLAUDETTE COLBERT LOUISE BEAVERS TUESDAY 9:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Have never seen this version of the movie. Liked the Lana Turner one but I always think she poses too much.

Respected Contributor

A real tear jerker of a movie. I used to watch it with my mother and we would cry and 😢.

Respected Contributor

For me it’s Lana Turner and Company. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love this version, everyone is excellent.  I love the later Turner version too.  I never fail to cry.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday Claudette Colbert was on Lux Radio Theater in Without Reservations (a really fun movie). Only trouble was, no John Wayne and no Don DeFore. I had a big crush on Don DeFore and when I started dating, he was my role model, hahaha. This is just between you and me.

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @Judaline, Don deFore WAS a cutie.  I even like him as the entertainingly disgruntled and domesticated George Baxter in "Hazel".

Both John Wayne and Donny boy have that endearing, unapologetic masculinity that is so appealing...

Honored Contributor

Just a minor correction, Beavers daughter was not biracial, she made it clear in the movie that her daughters father was a very light skinned black man.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, ha, @Judaline, Don deFore WAS a cutie.  I even like him as the entertainingly disgruntled and domesticated George Baxter in "Hazel".

Both John Wayne and Donny boy have that endearing, unapologetic masculinity that is so appealing...

Add boyish charm to that list! As  manly as John Wayne was, he still had that, 'aw, shucks, ma'am' personality. They complemented each other in that  movie.