Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If they'd eliminate flood insurance for beach front property, it would strongly discourage people from building there.  Why should tax payer be expected to subsidise the same people rebuilding over and over?

To your point, when we bought our house, we were told we had a 1% chance of flooding.  We live on top of a hill.  Our insurance company had to decide if they willing to waive flood insurance due to the low percentage.  As far as I always knew, it was mandatory if you had a mortgage and any chance of flooding.  I like the idea of mandatory insurance if you live in high risk areas, mortgage or not.  

The ironic thing for Californians is that earthquake insurance is so ridiculously expensive that almost no one has it.  The frequency of having an earthquake that does any structural damage is far, far less than hurricanes.  It makes no sense.  The last quake that did any damage in my area was 1989 on a different fault, and the 2014 quake (again on a different fault) in Napa but there was no damage here.  We are supposedly overdue for a big quake on the fault I am on, and if there is damage, the government will be forced to take it on I guess.  If it was made affordable, I would have no problem getting it.  

Honored Contributor

No doubt you'll get a thank you note and a promise to change their programming.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe you should contact Discovery, they own HGTV.  I don't understand how a cable channel shares in the responsibility of people wanting own beach front property.  Makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

Re: I wrote to HGTV

[ Edited ]

Properties have been wiped out by weather related and other natural disasters since the dawn of time... I guess I just don't get how it's HGTV's responsibilty to address human nature and that people want to live where they want to live... As far as it goes, I pretty much gave up on HGTV's programming several years ago, so I guess they won't be influencing me anyway... Besides, I have no desire to go coastal... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Good for you @Vivian.  Thst's the only way they have of knowing the viewers are dissatisfied.   Maybe if more people wrote, we'd see some changes.  If you want something, ask for it!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

If they'd eliminate flood insurance for beach front property, it would strongly discourage people from building there.  Why should tax payer be expected to subsidise the same people rebuilding over and over?

To your point, when we bought our house, we were told we had a 1% chance of flooding.  We live on top of a hill.  Our insurance company had to decide if they willing to waive flood insurance due to the low percentage.  As far as I always knew, it was mandatory if you had a mortgage and any chance of flooding.  I like the idea of mandatory insurance if you live in high risk areas, mortgage or not.  

The ironic thing for Californians is that earthquake insurance is so ridiculously expensive that almost no one has it.  The frequency of having an earthquake that does any structural damage is far, far less than hurricanes.  It makes no sense.  The last quake that did any damage in my area was 1989 on a different fault, and the 2014 quake (again on a different fault) in Napa but there was no damage here.  We are supposedly overdue for a big quake on the fault I am on, and if there is damage, the government will be forced to take it on I guess.  If it was made affordable, I would have no problem getting it.  

I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 40 years and experienced a number of quakes, the worst being in 1994.  There was a lot of major damage and yes, there is the threat of the big one coming.  I moved away several years  ago and missed CA terribly but can't go back, housing costs are out of sight, traffic is and always was terrible, and the threat of a quake scares me.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Oh, how funny.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

Some may disagree with me but after this week’s horrific hurricane, yet another once-in-a-century storm in just a few years, I decided to write a letter of complaint to HGTV. They have several programs where people are buying properties right on the beach. In fact, one year,their home giveaway contest had a house in Mexico Beach, FL, the epicenter of Hurricane Michael.

It is an established scientific fact that climate change is real. People can continue the debate while coastal towns are inudated and people are left homeless. I told HGTV to show more responsibility in their programming. There are plenty of locations that they can feature which are not putting people at risk.

Seriously???? Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

So you lived in floods & sewage but today it's worse?

Climate is changing all the time, as long as this earth is turning the climate will change.

Did you know that deserts in Texas and the southwest used to be the ocean?   Yeah, we need to go back to those days.    Throw in a dinosaur or 2 while you are at it.

@Vivian wrote:

I grew up on the beach. My parents had no clue about nor’easters or hurricanes. We lived with floods and sewage backups all the time. This was before the effects of climate change. Louisiana is losing land every day. Florida will face more storms. The northeast will deal with more Sandy-type storms. While politicians debate the where’s, whys, and hows, people will suffer.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Nightowlz- FYI, many of the areas here in SC that were not in the flood zones, now have 2-3' of water in their homes. They were using boats to be able to access their homes.

And, just because you are inland, doesn't mean you can't flood. 

You might want to let your friend know, if she lives on the beach, her flood insurance will be through the roof - it is very expensive to maintain a house on the beach. One of the reasons we did not buy on the beach.

IMO, if you live on/near the water, your chances of flooding are going to be greater - we have many rivers that intersect, the ocean, the intracoastal, etc.

@riley1

Isn't the water in homes in SC now east of Columbia?

My brothers are in Greenwood, relatives in Greenville & Anderson. None had flooding.

I would have to know where all those lakes, rivers etc run in SC before I would move there now. I'm not dealing living some place with flooding when I'm elderly.

I know just because I live Inland does not mean it cannot flood.

We had a flood here in 1973 but nothing like these floods you see on TV today.