Esteemed Contributor

Some may disagree with me but after this week’s horrific hurricane, yet another once-in-a-century storm in just a few years, I decided to write a letter of complaint to HGTV. They have several programs where people are buying properties right on the beach. In fact, one year,their home giveaway contest had a house in Mexico Beach, FL, the epicenter of Hurricane Michael.

It is an established scientific fact that climate change is real. People can continue the debate while coastal towns are inudated and people are left homeless. I told HGTV to show more responsibility in their programming. There are plenty of locations that they can feature which are not putting people at risk.

Respected Contributor

You may not be aware that home buyers contact THEM when buying a home.  In fact most have already purchased a home - the whole show is a fake - a set up.  The buyers have already bought and they'll feature a few other homes to make it look like they're trying to decide among the three.  

Actually the only House Hunters I'm interested in watching are the ones at a beach.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Honored Contributor

Even with all the flooding you still have people that want to live by the water.

We wanted to retire in SC or Fl. Not so sure now. I don't think we will have flooding like that where I live. We do have Tornadoes.

I doubt I will move to Fl because it never gets cold.

If we move to SC it will be around Greenville or Anderson area so it's away from the coast. Does not mean they cannot get flooding there. You can bet if we move there I will know where the flood zones are plus where the water runs down from rivers/lakes when flooding further north since it will come down that way.

My best friend wants to buy by the water. I told her she was crazy.

Honored Contributor

Re: I wrote to HGTV

[ Edited ]

I don't know if we have Global Warming or not. Looks like we do.

It's a little strange IMO to be out mowing your lawn in Oct plus have a cold front come in a few days later. Our first freeze is generally in Nov. It's been hot, cold, hot, cold & too much rain this year. No Fall.

Honored Contributor

Although I believe wholeheartedly that climate change science is valid, I doubt that HGTV can persuade people who want to live by the water that they should not do it.  People have been choosing to live by oceans and rivers forever -  for beauty, for convenience, for warm, for pleasure.

Long before there was any talk about global warming (at least to my knowledge), my mother and a brother who lived nearby both suffered massive flood damage although unlike the Mexico Beach disaster, their homes were repairable.  Neither lived on the river that ran along one edge of the town, but people who did and who suffered even greater damage to their homes rebuilt them as soon as they could.

Right now I rent space in a private home on a street that was flooded as never before during Superstorm Sandy.    It's not a particularly long street even, but if I had to guess how much money has been spent rebuilding, repairing, upgrading, etc.  in the intervening years, I'd start at about $10,000,000 -  and I'm waiting to see what new owners do directly across the street from me.  They bought a basic old ranch in a foreclosure and I won't be at all surprised to see them put a couple hundred thousand into enlarging and renovating it.  All these homes are on a creek that opens into a large bay -  HGTV could have done a whole year of shows on streets like this one all the way from year to Brooklyn 50ish miles west of here. 

Honored Contributor

That's very funny...lol    Does she really think people make their housing decisions based on HGTV?  lol

Esteemed Contributor

My goal has always been to live by the ocean, but that is not even an option with all of the storms that we have had in the past years.  I had read in late spring that the hurricane season would not be so bad this year because the Caribbean waters were 2 degrees lower.  Apparently, that has no influence on Mother Nature.  I don't know about global warming, but I do know that the weather is in cycles and that we will always have better years or worse years and the weather people do not always know what is going to happen.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I grew up on the beach. My parents had no clue about nor’easters or hurricanes. We lived with floods and sewage backups all the time. This was before the effects of climate change. Louisiana is losing land every day. Florida will face more storms. The northeast will deal with more Sandy-type storms. While politicians debate the where’s, whys, and hows, people will suffer.

Esteemed Contributor

Let us know if you get a response. I've thought of writing to HGTV over the years, but I doubted it would make any difference.  I used to love their programming but have lost interest.  I miss the gardening and craft "how to" shows.