Esteemed Contributor

The home buying/fixer shows are all fluff. Ridiculous fluff. The paint colors and backsplash. 

No one mentions zoning, city codes, leaky basements, leaky septic and flood zones. Few mention HOA fees tacked onto a mortgage even tho the realtor happily shows a high rise ocean front condo in their price range.

People have seemingly deep pockets for their rehabs yet ask no questions whatsoever including "is this in a flood zone"?  No, it's up on 20' stilts because you get a better view. 😉

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

Some may disagree with me but after this week’s horrific hurricane, yet another once-in-a-century storm in just a few years, I decided to write a letter of complaint to HGTV. They have several programs where people are buying properties right on the beach. In fact, one year,their home giveaway contest had a house in Mexico Beach, FL, the epicenter of Hurricane Michael.

It is an established scientific fact that climate change is real. People can continue the debate while coastal towns are inudated and people are left homeless. I told HGTV to show more responsibility in their programming. There are plenty of locations that they can feature which are not putting people at risk.

@Vivian  Oh for goodness sakes.   IMO HGTV can show whatever it wants. We as adults can decide to purchase something or not.  It isn't HGTV that needs more responsibility, it's whoever the home buyers are.  HGTV is not putting people at risk - what a stretch! 

Honored Contributor

Re: I wrote to HGTV

[ Edited ]

I read an article recently saying beachfront property is still very much in demand, despite hurricanes and rising water levels.  I guess buyers can afford the insurance and financial setbacks a storm can bring; those who can't steer clear.  I am not in favor of beachfront development but that's an argument for another day.

As far as HGTV is concerned, they are just silly shows.  So many women like to watch those "love it or leave it" shows.  TV gets dumber and dumber, that's why I don't watch.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Vivian Do you really think this TV show is real? I have a secret for you everything on TV is scripted and made up. 

Trusted Contributor

HGTV DOES answer. Write away. I wrote that I, too, wish they would bring back the decorating shows like Room by Room, Gardening Guy and a woman & her daughter who fixed things around their house. Now all they have are fix and flip shows. Not interested. If more people would write, maybe they would improve their lineup of shows.

Esteemed Contributor

Of course I know HGTV shows are staged and fake. All the more reason to act more responsibly. They can skew their programs any way they like.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz- FYI, many of the areas here in SC that were not in the flood zones, now have 2-3' of water in their homes. They were using boats to be able to access their homes.

And, just because you are inland, doesn't mean you can't flood. 

You might want to let your friend know, if she lives on the beach, her flood insurance will be through the roof - it is very expensive to maintain a house on the beach. One of the reasons we did not buy on the beach.

IMO, if you live on/near the water, your chances of flooding are going to be greater - we have many rivers that intersect, the ocean, the intracoastal, etc.

Honored Contributor

If they'd eliminate flood insurance for beach front property, it would strongly discourage people from building there.  Why should tax payer be expected to subsidise the same people rebuilding over and over?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Really any area has their problems.  Personally, I cannot imagine living in tornado coutry.  I would not live in areas hit by hurricanes every year.  I'll be honest.  While I don't mind a short vist, I could never live where there is snow. I do not enjoy that kind of cold.  Nor do I like extreme heat.  But I do live in earthquake country.  It doesn't worry me, but I definately know people it frightens.  (We also have a lot of wildfires.)

Buyers know what the weather is, what the natural disasters are, in the areas they are looking in.  Where I am, we all know which fault line we are sitting on.  In other areas of the country, I have no doubt it is the same.  History of tornados, hurricanes, flooding...HGTV has no obligation to do your homework for you as a buyer.  That is all done off screen anyway.  Insurance, HOA fees, etc. are not too exciting.  Viewers want to see the pretty stuff.  I understand being triggered because of recent events, but the people living there cannot be completely surprised.  They took a calculated risk.  It is very sad no matter what disaster happens in any part of the country.