Trusted Contributor

I would like to talk about Gracepoint and Broadchurch. Spoilers about the Broadchurch ending inside.

I've never seen Broadchurch and decided to give Gracepoint a shot. I liked the first episode (maybe two), but it's just moving too slowly for me and I don't love it so tonight I decided to stop watching it (I made it 20 minutes into the episode before I deleted it off my DVR).

I googled the ending of Broadchurch to find out who killed Danny and was surprised to see it was the detective lady's husband. Does anyone know if Gracepoint will be following the Broadchurch storyline in this area? Also, how are you liking Gracepoint? And if you watched Broadchurch, does Gracepoint measure up quality wise?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

Re: I would like to talk about Gracepoint and Broadchurch. Spoilers about the Broadchurch ending inside.

I thought most of the actors were better in Broadchurch (except David Tennant, of course, he's fantastic in both). Something will be different about the ending in Gracepoint. It might be the identity of the killer, or just the motive, which was very weak in Broadchurch. But I read online that there were several missing scenes in the BBC America version and it made more sense if you saw the original British version, which is available on Amazon.

I like the atmospheric, slow way they are telling the story. But Olivia Coleman (Broadchurch) was so fantastic in the Ellie role that Anna Gunn suffers terribly by comparison. And I'm finding this Beth (Danny's mother) very unlikeable. The Beth in Broadchurch was more believable as a grieving mother, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Re: I would like to talk about Gracepoint and Broadchurch. Spoilers about the Broadchurch ending inside.

I think this doesn't compare to the British version. I love David Tennant's brogue and I keep thinking he'll forget about the American accent he's acquired and slip into his brogue. But he's too professional for that.

I honestly think if this was a series and there was no Broadchurch and no David Tennant, I would switch channels. It just wouldn't hold my interest. I'm liking it the more I see of it. I have to disagree about Beth. She is good in the part and the first part where she finds out about Danny I thought really well acted. I remember not liking her counterpart in the Broadchurch episodes, but I don't know that actress and can't call her to mind.

BTW, we have a whole thread on this already, stargazer.

Honored Contributor

I watched Broadchurch, and no I don't think Gracechurch measures up, not even close. I found it boring and plodding and dropped out after two episodes. Still can't believe I gave up something starring David Tennant but I just didn't like it at all and agree with Smoky's comments and Jud's. Especially missed David Bradley.

Honored Contributor

Right, he was very good, lori.