Respected Contributor

Re: I watched too many episodes of Hoaders yesterday.

@drizzellla wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I felt so sorry for the poor wife with Parkinson's, unable to move on her own & trapped in that filthy, gross bed with rats running around.  They found dead rats under where the bed was against the wall.  Where did they take her while the house was being cleaned?  That man was so clearly in over his head & his poor wife was a prisoner along for the ride & unable to do anything for herself.

What also upset me about the show besides the rats in the bedroom were their son and daughter. The parents moved from Pittsburgh to California to be "closer to their children and grandchildren".

Did the children visit their parents? Could they not see the filthy mattress? And the filthy condition of the bedroom? And the dead rats must have smelled. Did they not notice the smell? The children couldn't have helped their parents out by helping with the work load? 

How could the children see their Mother in her impaired condition living in squalor and not do anything, years before this show.

The excuse the kids gave was their mom was usually asleep when they visited & the room was dark, so they couldn't see the squallor in the bedroom, but I'm not buying it either.  I think the dad maybe didn't let them in or drove them away & thye never pressed him, but someone needed to stand up for their poor mom, who couldn't defend herself & was trapped in that mess with her loony spouse.

Respected Contributor

@northiie57 wrote:

I was annoyed with the Hoarder Becky, was last weeks episode.  She had a very gross massive hoard.  With all the big efforts that the cleaners, her family, her community stepped up and helped her....she did not say once THANK YOU! through many days of cleanup.....I find it super selfish and I don't see it as part of the mental disorder.

That's the On Demand show I turned on while I got busy.  Her estranged husband said he would gift her his share of their property and she could barely get a thank you out for that.  I'm no sure she even made eye contact with him.  And she probably continued to hoard as she continued to argue with her daughters and bring in stuff "to replace" what was moved out.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@northiie57 wrote:

I was annoyed with the Hoarder Becky, was last weeks episode.  She had a very gross massive hoard.  With all the big efforts that the cleaners, her family, her community stepped up and helped her....she did not say once THANK YOU! through many days of cleanup.....I find it super selfish and I don't see it as part of the mental disorder.

That's the On Demand show I turned on while I got busy.  Her estranged husband said he would gift her his share of their property and she could barely get a thank you out for that.  I'm no sure she even made eye contact with him.  And she probably continued to hoard as she continued to argue with her daughters and bring in stuff "to replace" what was moved out.

I think the ex-husband just wanted his name OFF of the deed, mortgage or whatever, so he's not liable for any fines, lawsuits or liens that are accrued from the local authorities for her not cleaning up the mess!  It was cloaked as a generous gift, but I think he was looking out for himself & I didn't blame him one bit!  He just wants to move on with his own life & be done with her.