Honored Contributor

Re: I want more good comedies...

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@gardenman  I have the complete series DVDs of "Fawlty Towers" and "Are You Being Served".  The English comedies are the best!

@deepwaterdotter

It really depends on what type of humor you like, as well. I remember a comedian saying that the difference between American comedy and British comedy is that American comedy is funny.  LOL

Respected Contributor

My favorite British shows are Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served?, Doc Martin & The Great British Baking Show. Sadly, what passes as comdey these days is not funny, Will & Grace is a disgrace. I do enjoy watching Big Bang & The Middle but know they have run their course & time to end, I never miss an episode of Dateline & 48 Hours. MEtv has Matlock, Mama's Family, Columbo & others, finding myself watching that more lately.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I like drama but in the times we live in, I would like to turn on tv and see a lot of 30 minute comedies.   I tried to get into some of the new shows and recorded them but two are about a missing child.

I will probably watch them eventually but I would like TV to take me away from reality for at least 30 minutes.  I do watch the comedies that are on tv now like mom, kevin can wait etc.  I want more....

@chiclet

Well, then, you better start looking at the comedies that were around in the past and now are in syndication.  Personally, after an evening of watching shows that may be a bit intense, I like the last show of the evening to be a 30 minute comedy, so I'm with you on this.

If you weren't a follower the first time around, you can always record Friends.  Mike and Molly is still running, I believe, and had great writers.   Will and Grace is back but the original series is still out there .... as is Roseanne.  

I was recording Mad About You and found it a much better comedy than most .... and then they just stopped!   I have no idea why that happened ... maybe the network only had it for the summer months ... or something.   

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 Keeping up Appearances always makes me laugh.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Cheers, FRAZIER, (My funny favorite). I agree better writers.  D i c k VanDyke was great. I use to laugh at Robin Williams, trying to think of funny shows.  It's been so long, it seems like............

Esteemed Contributor

I tried watching The Big Store when it was on. Unbelievably it was about a young girl getting her first period and a store employee (male) running around trying to find her pads. This all happens at the store mind you. Hilarious,huh? 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Last Man Standing was the only comedy I watched.  Sad that it was cancelled.

Nothing new this season so far has moved me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I know what you mean.  there were a few of the recent ones I liked - "The Great Indoors," "Downward Dog," "Imaginary Mary" - but, they didn't last.  They didn't compare to "Seinfeld," of course.

Respected Contributor

I'm another one who watches a lot of old sitcom reruns.  The writing and comedy was a lot better then, in my opinion.

I did recently discover reruns later in the evening of Modern Family...those have been pretty funny.  I think it's still on in prime time somewhere...I'll have to try to find it and see if the newer ones are as funny.

Respected Contributor

I still enjoy watching Seinfeld - total goofballs! They were quite a bunch! Good laugh! 

-Texas Hill Country-