Respected Contributor

I want more good comedies...

I like drama but in the times we live in, I would like to turn on tv and see a lot of 30 minute comedies.   I tried to get into some of the new shows and recorded them but two are about a missing child.

I will probably watch them eventually but I would like TV to take me away from reality for at least 30 minutes.  I do watch the comedies that are on tv now like mom, kevin can wait etc.  I want more....

Respected Contributor

Re: I want more good comedies...

[ Edited ]

It's been years since I've been able to watch a so-called sitcom. I have found the humor to be consistently juvenile -- bathroom and sexual humor, disgusting humor, or cliched humor regarding men and women.  Add a lame laugh track and I'm not watching.

I tried to get into the "highly acclaimed" Big Bang Theory based on a friend's rec, but I couldn't.

Esteemed Contributor

There's always a great need for good writing matched with good acting, right? I feel that way about movies, too.

Respected Contributor

I totally agree.  What they call comedy on TV is really bad and not funny at all.  Aren't there any good writers out there?

Honored Contributor

I like the oddball stuff. Right now I'm really enjoying "The Good Life." It's insanely quirky and likely impossible for anyone just now joining to understand, but it's in the model of "Pushing Daisies" and "Wonderfalls," which are two of my favorite more recent series.

I don't mind pretty much any topic as long as it's funny. One of the absolute funniest series I've ever seen was the BBC's "Coupling." Now you have to understand going in that this is a comedy about sex and relationships and that none of these people are intended to be role models in any way, shape, or form. It's just flat out hilarious the situations these six people find themselves in. Even having seen them multiple times (I own they whole series on DVD) I still find myself laughing out loud at the episodes.

I've always found myself drawn to the British/Australian comedies more than the American with the exception of "Night Court" (quite edgy in its time) and "WKRP in Cincinnati." Shows like "Mother and Son," an Australian comedy about a son dealing with his mother's dementia (or is she smarter than the rest?) are fantastic. It only ran for a couple of years, but it's amazingly well done. ""Good Neighbors" is also a long time favorite of mine along with "Fawlty Towers." 

Most of the newer stuff just seems to try too hard. The laugh track on the new "Will and Grace" is just overbearing to me. I give most new comedies a chance, but they just fall flat to me. Lots of people love them, but they just don't work for me. Give me something quirky, maybe with a bit of an edge to it, and I'll generally like it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I have not watched a sitcom since Seinfeld went off the air, and I only watched that since back then it was the thing to do!! Give me a good drama anytime!!

Honored Contributor

Many years ago we were much simpler people... shows like Laugh In, Hee Haw and such made us laugh and entertained us... no more. We are hardened.... angry.... and the beauty and simplicity of joy for the most part has been replaced by the internet... violence and worry.

I do not think people want comedy or light hearted entertainment anymore for the most part.  Serious drama and dark themes seem to fit the bill now.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman  I have the complete series DVDs of "Fawlty Towers" and "Are You Being Served".  The English comedies are the best!

Valued Contributor

There is absolutely nothing to compare to Seinfeld. That was such a fabulous show. My husband and I watched the new show on FOX - GHOSTED. It was interesting. I usually never watch comedy, preferring drama shows as long as they are not dark or violent. As for Ghosted, my husband made an interesting comment. He said you have to give a show a chance to develop the characters and thus we will continue to watch Ghosted. I did read that the shows following the Pilot episode are better.

Honored Contributor

Comedies that are acually funny, maybe. Haven't seen many of those in a while.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...