Honored Contributor

Re: I think we are going to pull the plug on our comcast cable

While I agree cable is not cheap, how much would it cost to get all those other services, Roku, Netflix, etc????  We have 3 TVs and each one would have to have their own service???  Plus how are these services accessed?  Via computer???  You can see I'm not tech savvy but I don't see where switching would save a lot of money.

The one channel that I must have is TCM.  Is that offered on any of these services?

I understand wanting to "cut the cable" but as long as I can afford it, I plan to stick with my cable service.

Respected Contributor

No you do not pay for the services on each tv. Usually, you choose how many tvs can accsess the account at one time  and its very cheap a couple bucks extra. All the streaming channels come through from your wifi so you still need that.

Esteemed Contributor

Roku is free, Hulu is $55 but I think there is a cheaper version under $10. Netflix is under $10. You pick the ones you want but not all because you wouldn't get the value. Just to much to watch. You don't have to pay a fee for each TV. We have 4 and pay $55 for access on all sets. You have to have an internet connection. You download the app, set up an account and away you go. I think TCM is on HULU PLUS but not positive. 

Esteemed Contributor

Since I love in the AZ mountains, an antenna isn't an option.  Our only option is satellite.  Additionally we have Netflix, Prime and (thanks to son) Disney +.  I'm a news junkie so (especially) during an election year I feel we need to stay completely connected.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty  Thank you for this info.  Our RCN bill is $216 which includes cable for 3 TVs, internet and unlimited phone.  Plus if our internet goes out, we still have TV.  I don't see where we would be saving money by switching from cable.   AND TCM is a must.

What we find interesting is that almost half of the bill is for government taxes and fees.   The service itself is quite reasonable.

Honored Contributor

Roku is free but you must buy the box. It isn't expensive..

Honored Contributor

Net flix is $13 and Britbox is $8( roughly)  Acorn is $5..We get prime for free with our Amazon account

Youtube is free, but you can susbscribe  for a small fee

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

DD has netflex & hulu somehow she added us so we can see those channels under her name, we have amazon prime & she gets to see that under our name. I don't know how many names you can add but if you know a family member/friend you don't have to pay for it. I wish we could just pay for the channels we watch, don't need the cartoons or spanish channels. 

It doesn't go by name - as long as you have the ability to stream and the user name and password.

I can go to my daughters house, put our information in and watch our Netflix.  She can come here, put her Disney+ info in and watch here at our house.

There is a limit as to how many devices can be using it at the same time.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry 

@cherry wrote:

Net flix is $13 and Britbox is $8( roughly)  Acorn is $5..We get prime for free with our Amazon account

Youtube is free, but you can susbscribe  for a small fee

How to you get Prime fee?  I have an Amazon account, but pay for prime..

Honored Contributor

You don't get it for free. You pay for prime and the prime TV is a bonus