Honored Contributor

Re: I think we are going to pull the plug on our comcast cable

[ Edited ]

@cherry.  I got rid of my Direct TV 2 years ago.  Among my "enhancements" wad a cheap interior antenna for which I paid $12/TV.  On it I get all the local ststions, PBS, QVC, Q2, HSN, a weather channel and at least a dozen religious channels.  I'd  bet there is a Catholic Mass on at least one of them.  I also get lots of old sitcoms,  Spanish stations and a couple of new channels with decorating, crafts and cooking shows (Dabl and Create).  As more people cut the cord, more antenna programming is being added.

I also have Netflix, Prime Video and Sling.  I have much more to watch than I did with my satellite.  I've never looked back.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

do you like to play the game? For 8 yrs had direct tv under DH's name found out if I switch it to my name much cheaper I was considered new member. I had to sign contract for 2yrs got either free HBO or football package the 1st yr. DH chose football also they came laughed that our boxes were old so got new boxes too. Very nice guys, I know after this year my bill will increase but every 2 yrs we got to do this. I like direct tv because I live in Az. and get east coast shows 2 hours earlier. I dvr alot of shows so I had to reprogram which wasn't that much of a problem. I have a friend that has 2 local cable companies & he calls them every time his contract is up to see who will give him the better price. 

Respected Contributor

DD has netflex & hulu somehow she added us so we can see those channels under her name, we have amazon prime & she gets to see that under our name. I don't know how many names you can add but if you know a family member/friend you don't have to pay for it. I wish we could just pay for the channels we watch, don't need the cartoons or spanish channels. 

Super Contributor

My BF and I currently pay $319.37 per month for Cox Cable in Las Vegas, internet, phone, etc. We complain about it every month. I have Roku and Amazon Fire TV, and Netflix, but that doesn't seem enough to cut the cord. We are lost and don't know what to do so we don't miss what we already like. What I don't want is to pay for something that only shows shows from the 60s and 70s. I watched those to death then and don't want them now.

Esteemed Contributor

I cut my Directv earlier this year. The only time I missed it was when the football games were on ESPN. I have Netflix and my son added me to his Hulu and his girlfriend added me to her Disney +. I just pay $14.06 for the Netflix, I was paying $147 for Directv. 

Respected Contributor

@cherry  I am with you we are thinking of doing the same.  We have Acorn, Britbox, Netflix DH thinking if adding Prime there is so much to watch on these our cable not used much now.

Just binge watched Mount Pleasant on Acorn - loved it.  New Year new decisions!

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

There is just nothing I am interested in , that they have. We have  other things we watch. My husband likes  his TV with an new antenna he just got. He loves old westerns

We have Brit box, and Acorn ,and Prime ,and Netflix..my husband got them and I love them. Another nice place to watch things I like is Youtube

I doubt we will save a lot, because we are bundled, but I hate paying for something we don't use

I have Cox here in Phx.  Always carefully consider cutting the cord; however, have yet to find a cost effective way to get the DVR service that I use exclusively.  I don't watch live TV shows.  My high-speed internet service is bundled so if I dropped the cable the charge for internet would increase.  If I had a variety of streaming services that would add up as well.  

Valued Contributor

Wow, @Tangocash , I thought our $229 cable/internet bill was bad when we decided to drop our cable last April. I can't imagine paying over $300. We now pay $54.99/month for Hulu Live TV and $60 for our internet (we don't have, nor do we need the highest speed internet for streaming). The channels we get with Hulu Live TV are our local abc, nbc, and cbs stations plus the following: A&E, Boomerang, Bravo, BTN, Cartoon Network, CBS Sports Network, CNBC, CNN, CNNi, Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPN-U, Food Network, Fox Business, Fox News, FreeForm, FS1, FS2, FX, FXM, FXX, Golf, HGTV, HLN, Lifetime, MSNBC, Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend, Animal Planet, ID, National Geographic, Nat GEO Wild, NBCSN, Oxygen, Pop, SEC Espn, Sprout, Syfy, TBS, History, Travel, TNT, TruTV, Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Motor Trend, Animal Planet, Turner Classic Movies, USA, Viceland.

Also, the nice thing about streaming services is that you're not locked into any kind of contract. If you don't like it, you can cancel anytime. There are several streaming services to choose from. We liked Hulu Live TV because DH wanted his ESPN channels and I wanted TCM and HGTV. There are several steaming services out there to choose from. Some are cheaper than others, it just depends on what channels you're interested in. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We cut the cord in July and couldn't be happier. DirectTV was going to raise my rates $65 a month. One day I counted that I was paying for over 65 channels of nothing but informercials. That number didn't include the  several kiddie, religious, Spanish and music channels all of which we don't watch. We now have HULU Live, Amazon Prime and Roku (which is free). I'm saving around $100 a month and have tons more to watch. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sissel wrote:

do you like to play the game? For 8 yrs had direct tv under DH's name found out if I switch it to my name much cheaper I was considered new member. I had to sign contract for 2yrs got either free HBO or football package the 1st yr. DH chose football also they came laughed that our boxes were old so got new boxes too. Very nice guys, I know after this year my bill will increase but every 2 yrs we got to do this. I like direct tv because I live in Az. and get east coast shows 2 hours earlier. I dvr alot of shows so I had to reprogram which wasn't that much of a problem. I have a friend that has 2 local cable companies & he calls them every time his contract is up to see who will give him the better price. 

I also live in Arizona Good luck getting them to offer you anything. When I called in July about my rate they told me they no longer offer any type of promotions.so we dropped them.  If you've noticed there haven't been any promotions from Cox either for a long time. They used to run them constantly.