Honored Contributor

I think tonight was the season finale of Home Fires on Masterpiece

I'm so sorry it will be off now until next fall. I enjoyed it so much and really just started to get to understand all the characters.

SPOILERS - Both my Dad and my uncle were reported as missing in WW11 and both came home - it doesn't mean someone is dead. My uncle was a Japanese POW and my Dad had been in an explosion and his dogtags blown off. He was badly injured and could not tell them who he was so he was officially missing. My Mom found him in a hospital in Ireland after the war was over.

Honored Contributor

Re: I think tonight was the season finale of Home Fires on Masterpiece

I've really enjoyed both Home Fires and Indian Summers. They're both fictionalized versions of nonfiction books. 

Home Fires is based on the book Jambusters, by Julie Summers. Indian Summers is based on Indian Summers, by Alex Von Tunzelmann. I will probably read both while waiting for the fictional TV versions to return next year.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the info about the book. I just ordered it for my kindle, and the reviews are

excellent.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I'm so sorry it will be off now until next fall. I enjoyed it so much and really just started to get to understand all the characters.

SPOILERS - Both my Dad and my uncle were reported as missing in WW11 and both came home - it doesn't mean someone is dead. My uncle was a Japanese POW and my Dad had been in an explosion and his dogtags blown off. He was badly injured and could not tell them who he was so he was officially missing. My Mom found him in a hospital in Ireland after the war was over.

I guess when you're missing off a ship, there's not much hope unless you're picked up. I have a feeling,tho, that this kid will be found.

Did your dad eventually get his memory back?

Honored Contributor

There was nothing wrong with his memory - at first he was unconscious and then he was deaf - remained deaf the rest of his life - and blind in one eye - and severely burned. He didn't  speak for a long time and didn't know that they didn't know who he was. My Mom and many families who had "missing" soldiers went to Europe to tour hospitals and look for him - the Salvation Army took her around to see soldiers like my dad who were unidentified and she found him in the hospital. he saw her walking up to  him and she said the hugest smile on is face when she first saw him. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I guess when you're missing off a ship, there's not much hope unless you're picked up. I have a feeling,tho, that this kid will be found.

Oh, my goodness, 151949,  I have seen movies on those camps and the terrors the prisoners suffered....I often wondered how any one could have possibly survived, those people were vicious.  Are your dear Dad and Uncle still living?  How were they after these horrific experiences?  I just can't imagine.....you are the daughter and niece of real heros, I know you are very honored to in the family of such great people.

Thank you so much for sharing about these heros who were part of the the "greatest generation".and were responsible for giving us the freedom we have today. It seems few today know much about that awful time in history..even though there was little taught in the schools my son took my grandson to the library so he could gain more information and appreciate why we have the freedom we have today, all due to strong brave men like your Dad and Uncle.

You have a proud legacy, 151949

Honored Contributor

I had no idea, now I know why there were no previews!  I was just getting into it!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

I had no idea, now I know why there were no previews!  I was just getting into it!

I agree - it took me all this time to figure out who was married to whom etc. I hate these short seasons of only 6 or 7 episodes.

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Oh, my goodness, 151949,  I have seen movies on those camps and the terrors the prisoners suffered....I often wondered how any one could have possibly survived, those people were vicious.  Are your dear Dad and Uncle still living?  How were they after these horrific experiences?  I just can't imagine.....you are the daughter and niece of real heros, I know you are very honored to in the family of such great people.

Thank you so much for sharing about these heros who were part of the the "greatest generation".and were responsible for giving us the freedom we have today. It seems few today know much about that awful time in history..even though there was little taught in the schools my son took my grandson to the library so he could gain more information and appreciate why we have the freedom we have today, all due to strong brave men like your Dad and Uncle.

You have a proud legacy, 151949

My Uncle who was the POW went on to get an engineering degree and to work in the space program. He had a totally fascinating life, and made a huge difference to the world. He was the chief engineer on the project to develop the rocket that carried the men to the Apollo missions and which is still in use today by NASA. We owe so much of our modern technology to the space program.He just passed away this year at 90 years old. I had 17 uncles as my Dad was from a family of 16 kids but that Uncle was my favorite .

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a very strong man who contributed much to society after going through such an horrific experience.  I wish I had been able to talk to him but most don't care to talk about such horrors after they are over.

I think those who went to Viet Nam and served because they were called upon to do so deserve our utmost respect.  Too bad that didn't happen; I see these poor guys around the community so much of the time, many are homeless and just wander around.  Two guys I worked with who had served in Nam finally had to quit their jobs because of mental problems brought on by their service there.  At least in WW2 everyone was united and those who served were honored for their service.