Respected Contributor

Re: I think my favorite film is

My favorite love story is Random Harvest (1942) with Greer Garson and Ronals Colman. 

Honored Contributor

Something to Talk About and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Pride and Prejudice.   I fall in love with this story every time I see it.

Do you have a love story that takes you in each time you see it too?

As long as it's the one with Colin FirthHeart

@Judaline, Colin Firth is Mr Darcy !!!!❤️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.  Anytime of the year, my all time fav!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

My favorite film is "My Favorite Year" with Peter O'Toole. It's brilliantly written and acted. I watch it several times a year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

My favorite film is "My Favorite Year" with Peter O'Toole. It's brilliantly written and acted. I watch it several times a year.

@gardenman

Utterly charming, that one.  It wasn't his last film, but I like to think of it as O'Toole's Swann song. Woman Wink

Speaking of O'Toole, my favorite film has been, since its release in 1968, The Lion in Winter.

The Lion in Winter

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I tried, I really tried, @qualitygal, to narrow it down to one, but the closest I got to that was three!  And even that was hard.

You specified, "favorite film that's a love story" so I was thinking specifically of romances.  These three love stories i chose do overlap with my favorite (general) movies.

"The Third Man"--  Director Carol Reed's masterpiece set in post-War Vienna.  Most people concentrate on the suspense and on Orson Welles' electrifying performance.  I love the way that Joseph Cotten falls in love with the elusive actress he teams up with, Alida Valli.  It's unplanned and a lot of it is unspoken, but it's wistful and heartbreaking, and that incredible zither score intensifies everything.

"Notorious"--  Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman are star-crossed and separated for much of this thriller, but it doesn' t make their chemistry any less potent.  That frantic scene where she has been lethally doped by Claude Rains and his mother, and Cary is trying to wake her up and get her out of that toxic mansion, is a total love scene.  He's whispering to her and urging her on and he almost can't see straight, he loves her so much, and he's so tender.

"His Girl Friday"--  Hmm, two thirds of my favorite love stories have Cary Grant!   Here he's Rosalind Russell's ex-husband and ex-editor, and he's wooing her back as both a wife and reporter.  Their banter back and forth is knowing and hilarious-- they've long had "each other's number".   Cary is trying to win her back with everything he's got-- his wit, his cunning, his knowledge of what makes her tick.  Again, like in "The Third Man", much of it is oblique and read-between-the-lines, but no less romantic for all of that.

Honored Contributor

Colin Firth -thought he was the dog on "The Middle"?

Respected Contributor

I have several favorites:

Sense and Sensibility

Roman Holiday

Quiet Man

Donovan's Reef

Notting Hill

Casablanca

The Greatest Game Ever Played

Honored Contributor