Valued Contributor

Oh I'm still mourning the loss of One Life to LIve.  Although several characters are now on General Hospital, it's still not the same.  GH I tune in every now and then when I'm home from work.  I remember being glued to that soap when in  high school and the whole Luke and Laura thing...happy memories.  Now Young & The Restless I've been watching since I was a little girll.  That was my mom's story and became a fan back then and continue to watch till this day also  when I'm home from work.  

Honored Contributor

I constantly complain about the two soaps I still watch, Young and Restless and General Hospital.  

However, (thanks to my fast forward button) so far I've been able to tolerate them.

Honored Contributor

Re: I miss my soaps

[ Edited ]

I never really watched soaps.  Although when I came home from school, my mother would watch General Hospital.  Is Days of our lives still on?  That was another soap my mom watched. She would tell me the stories.  I remember asking her Did they ever find Kim's baby!,  LOL. My mom looked at me blankly, but I remembered!  Very funny.

Respected Contributor

We watched ATWT.  It came on at 12:30.  Not sure how i kept up with it during the school year but i did.  During the summer i definitely watched it.  During college everybody watched soaps.  Dark Shadows was very popular.  My grandfather timed his lunch break to come home in time to watch ATWT.  I swear he had a crush on bad old Lisa!

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

We watched ATWT.  It came on at 12:30.  Not sure how i kept up with it during the school year but i did.  During the summer i definitely watched it.  During college everybody watched soaps.  Dark Shadows was very popular.  My grandfather timed his lunch break to come home in time to watch ATWT.  I swear he had a crush on bad old Lisa!

OMG I remember Lisa, she was so popular, her antics always trying to get Bob.  

I remember Dark Shadows, would watch that after school.

Trusted Contributor

There was hardly a one I didn't watch.  I am 64, and still remember my mom rocking me in the rocking chair for my nap time with the theme song for As The World Turns came on.

We would laugh as she attempted to mimic the opening organ music.

All through grade school and high school during the summers I watched them everyday.

I also remember The Doctors and Althea, and The Sterling family from Love of Life, Dark Shadows, The Young and The Restless, All My Children, Guiding Light, Another World, and Doug and Julie actually falling in love on Days of Our Lives.

They showed a vintage clip of Doug and Julie just in the past week.  

I could go for years later and not watch them, tune in, and it "was" like long lost family, the way I could remember the characters. 

For many years I thought the stories were just too fantastic.   Then I found out in my own life, this stuff can really happen to regular people, not just those in soap operas. 

Honored Contributor

I think the daytime soap operas will be thing of past pretty soon.

They're not really relevant to real people, normal people in today's world.

Most people are not rich and can't get their own way all the time by paying somebody else to do their bidding for them. 

Breaking into labs to get blood test, pregnancy results, poisoning people, etc.  Switching babies on and on like that. Only in the movies.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I think the daytime soap operas will be thing of past pretty soon.

They're not really relevant to real people, normal people in today's world.

Most people are not rich and can't get their own way all the time by paying somebody else to do their bidding for them. 

Breaking into labs to get blood test, pregnancy results, poisoning people, etc.  Switching babies on and on like that. Only in the movies.

They had to start competing, as was pointed out, with reality TV, and be more exciting.

In the beginning it was not like that.  They just plodded along, like sitting in your neighbor's livingroom. 

The day to day problems of Bob and Lisa, and Chris and Nancy Hughes, Penny, and Grandpa.  

Honored Contributor

yeah, but, let's face it . Those things don't happen in the real world.

Nobody ever gets caught doing evil acts. Everybody is rich, not on a budget, we can't decide we want to eat dinner in Paris on a whim and call up our pilot that we have hired for our private jet.

Big ol' diamond rings like 10 cts. on and on.

Everybody is thin and beautiful, not a age spot on them, etc

Not realistic.

They all seem to have money, but, nobody works. Fairy tale.

Respected Contributor

Spent many happy hours watching the ABC line up - All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital.  Saw Erica Skezak ( Victoria Lord) on Blue Bloods a couple weeks ago.  Remember Luke and Laura's beautiful fall wedding like it was yesterday.  Good memories 😉