Honored Contributor

Re: I'm really out of touch with who is supposed to be like the major box office male and female.

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal   The only one I knew for sure was Robert Downey, Jr., so I Googled it.  Robert Downey, Jr., Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johanssen were three that I found.

As far as music, the top pop artists are Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber for a few.  Taylor Swift is very popular.

The top country artists are Chris Stapleton, Luke Bryant, Lady A, Kelsea Ballerini among others.

I don't go to see movies anymore, but I do listen to music.  I listen to both pop and country.  I love musical theatre.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm really out of touch with who is supposed to be like the major box office male and female.

You could go to one of the music sources. Most such services have a category of what's trending or most popular. 

Honored Contributor

The days of great stars, be it acting, music, etc....in my opinion are over.

Valued Contributor

I used to enjoy reading magazines like Star and People when in the salon.  As the years have gone on, I recognized less and less of any of the "stars" in them.  Used to like Entertainment Tonight back in the Mary Hart and John Tesh days.  Haven't watched in years since I don't know or even care who they talk about now.

I used to love country music in the 80's through about 2005-6.  It has changed so much and thhe songs are mostly juvenile and geared to beer-loving, truck driving young kids.  I used to always want to be up on all kinds of new music, but find I don't like most of it now.  We have Sirius/XM and mostly alternate between 70's, 80's, Bridge and one or two others.  

I do love Ed Sheeran (could listen to Perfect all day long) but can't really think of any other contemporary singers I like.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

You are not out of touch, there isn't anybody.

There are no Stars anymore, there are no lead singers anymore, there isn't any bands to speak of.

There are one hit wonders and then there are one's that may have a hit, take the money and go.   Nothing lasts anymore.

No more Simon Garfunkles, no more David Bowie, no more Chicago, no more Bee Gee's.   

It's a whole different kind of music if you want to call it, one hit wonders and that's about it.

That's my opinion.

@Just Bling 

Does anyone even remember when entertainers could stand alone on a stage with a microphone and hold the attention of the entire venue?    I've seen Neil Diamond, Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand perform and they didn't need anyone else on the stage.  They were perfection.

It appeared to me that as time went along, the less talented the performer, the more people they needed on stage with them.  If someone is a talented singer, they don't need a crowd onstage doing manic gyrations and waving their arms wildly ... that's just distraction from the mediocre singer.  JMO

Tend to agree.  The 'Vegas-a-zation' of music has led to marginally talented acts who put on a 'show' with the focus on spectacle whereas singers and musicians used to put on a 'concert' where the focus was on the music...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I love some of the new musical acts. Camilla Cabello, Doja Cat, H.E.R., Shawn Mendes, Justin Beiber ( though not new) Bruno Mars and Silksonic, even some Travis Scott, just to name a few. These are all highly talented musicians who collaborate with so many others. It amazes me how excellent some of this new crop of artists are. Though on our way to dinner, Do You Feel Like I Do, by Peter Frampton came on and Lord, there's nothing better!

Honored Contributor

I enjoy finding new indie singers/groups.

As much as I like music from the past there is so much good music today, too.

Pandora is a great place to find a new singer/group for everyone's taste.

I think we all identify with the music we enjoyed during our time but try somebody new.   You'd be surprised at how much is out there to be enjoyed in all genres.

One other tip:  if you hear a song(s) in a TV show or movie that you like, try to find the artist.  If not listed in the credits, just search the title of the show or movie and the list of songs.

Guarantee you will find a singer/group that was once unknown to you but now will be a favorite.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

I thought Pandora was a type of bracelet.

Honored Contributor

I'm officially out of the loop and I'd like to stay that way.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Is Tom Hanks still box office gold or has he aged out of the system?