Honored Contributor

Re: I'm really out of touch with who is supposed to be like the major box office male and female.

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Cakers3 

I thought Pandora was a type of bracelet.

@Tinkrbl44    LOL

It is also music and podcast service.  It does not come with a Pandora bracelet, though.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm really out of touch with who is supposed to be like the major box office male and female.

That's old school. There are many popular actors, groups, singers but the concept of best or greatest doesn't exist now.  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The young people I communicate with appear to be more interested in current events than in popular entertainers.

Don't forget tik tok lol

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

You are not out of touch, there isn't anybody.

There are no Stars anymore, there are no lead singers anymore, there isn't any bands to speak of.

There are one hit wonders and then there are one's that may have a hit, take the money and go.   Nothing lasts anymore.

No more Simon Garfunkles, no more David Bowie, no more Chicago, no more Bee Gee's.   

It's a whole different kind of music if you want to call it, one hit wonders and that's about it.

That's my opinion.

@Just Bling 

Does anyone even remember when entertainers could stand alone on a stage with a microphone and hold the attention of the entire venue?    I've seen Neil Diamond, Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand perform and they didn't need anyone else on the stage.  They were perfection.

It appeared to me that as time went along, the less talented the performer, the more people they needed on stage with them.  If someone is a talented singer, they don't need a crowd onstage doing manic gyrations and waving their arms wildly ... that's just distraction from the mediocre singer.  JMO

Absolutely agree with you.  Adele is one of the view who can just stand and singSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

That’s just not true. There are plenty of stars. And great actors and musicians. I could name quite a few. I’ll just say at the moment I’m loving Tom Hiddleston (actor), and Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars (music). I even like BTS (wildly popular Korean boy band). Their music is happy and good for dancing.

I’ll add that stars like Robert Downey, Jr and Samuel Jackson have been big box office in recent years due to the Marvel movies. I’m looking forward to a new Dr Strange with Benedict Cumberbatch.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up in the late 60s I've been blessed with experiencing both the pinnacle of music and seeing the best in film performances. I'm sure each generation feels the same way. Gifted artists who write their own music, play their own instruments, and don't rely on "enhancements" are non existent today.

IMO There hasn't been brilliant songwriters or performers for many years now. I haven't purchased any music other than Adele in over 20 years.

Ditto for Motion Pictures.

Most are re-treads of originals, believe it or not. 

dee

ETA:

However, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was phenomenal.  Very old school.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'm out of touch with who is #1 male star and female star and for that matter, who is the top singer or group today.  Any of you with young people in the family know?  I'm out of touch but curious.  

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/domestic/yearly-acting/highest-grossing-2021-sta...

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@qualitygal   The only one I knew for sure was Robert Downey, Jr., so I Googled it.  Robert Downey, Jr., Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johanssen were three that I found.

As far as music, the top pop artists are Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber for a few.  Taylor Swift is very popular.

The top country artists are Chris Stapleton, Luke Bryant, Lady A, Kelsea Ballerini among others.

I don't go to see movies anymore, but I do listen to music.  I listen to both pop and country.  I love musical theatre.

You forgot a few @NickNack .  Just because you might not like or listen to a genre doesn't mean they don't count.

Some of the popular ones at the moment are:

H.E.R.

Bebe Rhexa

Dua Lipa

Taylor Swfit

Toni Braxton

Cardi B

Meghan Thee Stallion

The Migos

Bruno Mars

Anderson Paak

Esteemed Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

You could go to one of the music sources. Most such services have a category of what's trending or most popular. 

@KaySDyes indeed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JamandBread wrote:

I love some of the new musical acts. Camilla Cabello, Doja Cat, H.E.R., Shawn Mendes, Justin Beiber ( though not new) Bruno Mars and Silksonic, even some Travis Scott, just to name a few. These are all highly talented musicians who collaborate with so many others. It amazes me how excellent some of this new crop of artists are. Though on our way to dinner, Do You Feel Like I Do, by Peter Frampton came on and Lord, there's nothing better!

@JamandBread  I enjoy H.E.R. who collaborates a lot.  When you're highly sought after you get to make that extra $$$ with collabs.  I don't listen to rap at all but I know who they are because of my son and grandson.