Honored Contributor

I'm really out of touch with who is supposed to be like the major box office male and female.

[ Edited ]

I'm out of touch with who is #1 male star and female star and for that matter, who is the top singer or group today.  Any of you with young people in the family know?  I'm out of touch but curious.  

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm really out of touch with who is supposed to be like the major box office male and female.

You are not out of touch, there isn't anybody.

There are no Stars anymore, there are no lead singers anymore, there isn't any bands to speak of.

There are one hit wonders and then there are one's that may have a hit, take the money and go.   Nothing lasts anymore.

No more Simon Garfunkles, no more David Bowie, no more Chicago, no more Bee Gee's.   

It's a whole different kind of music if you want to call it, one hit wonders and that's about it.

That's my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm really out of touch with who is supposed to be like the major box office male and female.

The young people I communicate with appear to be more interested in current events than in popular entertainers.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling  Then I don't feel so lost.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter That's interesting!!

Honored Contributor

In all honesty this has never been something I kept up with anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I finally realized that I was old when I was waiting for my hair color to set. I was reading People magazine and knew less than half the "stars" who were featured. Now I know less than a third.

Respected Contributor

I am with you! I don't know any actors or singers. I listen to Pandora stations  where I know the singers, never listen to today's music. I feel out of touch but nothing seems to interest me. I listened a couple times to a current Pandora station, a "today's hits" type thing and couldn't listen but to a few songs. When people on these forums mention someone, I usually have to Google them to find out who they're talking about. Yes, I am clueless; sounds like I may be in good company 

Honored Contributor

I was reading Star or Us magazine and there was an article entitled " 25 things you don't know about me."  My first question was who are you ?  I don't watch many movies anymore, I probably know some singers or groups because I try to keep up on the newer music. Dua Lipa is a favorite of mine.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

You are not out of touch, there isn't anybody.

There are no Stars anymore, there are no lead singers anymore, there isn't any bands to speak of.

There are one hit wonders and then there are one's that may have a hit, take the money and go.   Nothing lasts anymore.

No more Simon Garfunkles, no more David Bowie, no more Chicago, no more Bee Gee's.   

It's a whole different kind of music if you want to call it, one hit wonders and that's about it.

That's my opinion.

@Just Bling 

Does anyone even remember when entertainers could stand alone on a stage with a microphone and hold the attention of the entire venue?    I've seen Neil Diamond, Frank Sinatra and Barbra Streisand perform and they didn't need anyone else on the stage.  They were perfection.

It appeared to me that as time went along, the less talented the performer, the more people they needed on stage with them.  If someone is a talented singer, they don't need a crowd onstage doing manic gyrations and waving their arms wildly ... that's just distraction from the mediocre singer.  JMO