Honored Contributor

Re: I hate TV when it gets close to Halloween.

I do not like the slasher blood and gore horrors and avoid those movies.  However, I absolutely love the horrors and sci fi movies which come out more now that Autumn and Halloween are approaching.

I love the Universal horrors (Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Mummy, Wolfman etc.).  I always enjoy the Hammer horrors, all the Draculas with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.  I look forward to Val Newton movies (I Walked with a Zombie for one) and I adore Ghost stories and shows which have haunted places and stories to go with them.  I used to watch the Thriller series which Boris Karloff narrated, Twillight Zone, Outer Limits, One Step Beyond and every other series which came on whether long or short term.  Love the 50's Sci Fi's , The Thing, It came from Outer Space, and so many others, too many to list.  

The current movies are good too, the Others,, Woman in Black, Sixth Sense, to mention a few.  

While I love all of these type movies and my DVR is set to tape, I am a fan of all movies.  I find between reading and watching good TV and listening to wonderful music I am entertained.

Honored Contributor

Then don't watch it!

Honored Contributor

@lmt wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I don't like the stupid teenie slasher movies with people running around with axes and chain saws. That's just loony.

I like intelligent movies like George C Scott in 'The Changeling'.

'What LIes Beneath' with Harrison Ford . 

Stephen king movies are good too ! Love 'Carrie'.............

@SharkE  'What Lies Beneath' was such a good movie!! I wish they would air it more often.

I bought it used from Amazon think it was or bargain bin somewhere

Respected Contributor

Love Halloween and all it entails. The scary movies and tv shows, decorating the house for the trick or treaters. It is so much fun!  My daughter and I want to see the new movie "The Nun". Looks like a goodie! Hope to get to see it this week.

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I am going to pass out candy this year. I will have a fire pit going in the driveway and one of my best friends, two doors down, will hang out with me. I may invite another girlfriend that recently moved out of the neighborhood. I have appetizers for us and make a large batch of caramel apple sangria (for us). It's a great way to meet new neighbors and establish a "friendly" community atmosphere.  

I go to Sam's/Costco and get a large count box of full size candy bars and give them out to the kids that are really cute and polite or dress up with passion. She will buy a less expensive "kiddie mix."  Then we decide who is full size worthy!  A very fun evening.  Now, if it rains, the fire pit will not be used.  

Last year, I had about 8-10 left over candy bars, so I placed them in my neighbor's mailboxes.  Most of them knew they were from me.  I don't need candy bars stashed in my food pantry!

I don't buy into all of the Halloween decor, but I do enjoy Autumn!

@jpie . I do something like this...only I love on a cul de sac and the neighbors who all live on the street gather in the middle of it and we have our own little party.  We bring chairs, candy (of course!), drinks, candles (I bring my rolling cart).  We call the kids over to us to get their candy rather than marching up to each house.

We've been doing this for over 20 years and it's a fun way to get together!

How do you make caramel apple sangria?  It sounds delicious and something I might consider.

Respected Contributor

Halloween isn't my thing but I don't hate it.  Even as a child dressing up in a costume seemed dumb to me.  I did enjoy hauling in candy!

Respected Contributor

@haddon9

I'll post the web page with spaces:

thewholesomedish    .com/    caramel-apple-sangia/

if this doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll type it out for you and post again

The photos are great on this site and very helpful

funny it says "wholesome dish" (my friends and family love this recipe)

Halloween sounds like a blast in your neighborhood!

Honored Contributor

@jpie . We do have a lot of fun! Smiley Happy

I found the recipe!...It's nice & simple...the way I like it! 

caramel-apple-sangia:

• 1 (750 ml) bottle pinot grigio -or your favorite mild white wine
  • 1 cup caramel flavored vodka
  • 6 cups apple cider
  • 2 medium apples -cored and chopped
  1. Stir the wine, vodka, and apple cider together in a large pitcher.

2. Add the chopped apples to the pitcher, or to individual glasses.

3. Serve the sangria over ice.
Respected Contributor

@haddon9

I also make it extra special by adding 1 cup of "whipped cream vodka" and 4 cinnamon sticks

This beverage is not for sissies!

Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@haddon9

I also make it extra special by adding 1 cup of "whipped cream vodka" and 4 cinnamon sticks

This beverage is not for sissies!

Sounds yummy!  I will give it a try! Smiley Happy