Trusted Contributor

Re: I got a call from ABC news yesterday.

@Junebug54 wrote:

Of course, since nothing newsworthy had happened in my life recently, I let the machine pick up.   Apparently they have been monitoring my credit history and I qualify for 0% interest... Didn't know ABC got involved in such nonsense.   I'm amazed every day at their (the scammers) creativity.   

I received two calls today. The first was from Social Security saying that my Social Security card had been discontinued and I needed to call a toll free number immediately. The second call was from Microsoft letting me know that they were discontinuing their programs on my computer. Ridiculous!Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I counted 10 calls from one number in 24 hours.  That does not count the other ones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's annoying when my phones rings off the hook every 10 minutes with nothing but faux calls, scammers, whatever from whomever who don't even know me, or people asking me for money.

I just don't answer my phone. If it's someone important, they know me, they'll leave a message for me to return the call.

When my phones rings and there's no message, I know it wasn't worth my time and effort to answer it anyway which is why I don't.

Trusted Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

Love it when we receive spam calls from OUR number and name.

It's sad.  We have call block for 250 numbers and have had to delete them twice to add more.

If the call doesn't identify itself - BLOCK.

LOL me too! I was sitting here on the computer (DH was holding down the couch) when HE called.....hmmmmmm interesting. This was first time I realized those rascals can put any name or number on who's calling. Kinda scary. Be careful!

i came to the conclusion that the spammers started using our name and numbers so we couldn't block it. i assume if we blocked our own number we wouldn't get our calls incoming to that number

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The scammers can also get phone numbers that say "Federal Government"  and one even has my very own name as being the caller!  On my answering machine it showed as my name and my phone number!!

And does anyone get the calls saying that your car warranty has expired?  "We have tried to get in touch with you about your car's warranty expiring"....I answered back one time "what?  I don't have a car!  what kind of car?"  "Did someone register their car in MY name?" 

They hang up then.

I do sometimes answer the calls, but I can tell right away they are scams. I mess with them sometimes just for fun!  Last week, the guy said I had won free carpet cleaning for my entire house for free!!    I said "but I don't have any carpet in my house, so what else can I get for free instead?"   After a bit of back and forth, I finally told him to call back when I win a car or some money!!  LOL

Trusted Contributor

A couple of weeks ago, I answered and the guy said "hi Grandma, can you help me?"   And I said "Taylor, is that you?  Your voice has changed...you sound older than you did last week...."    then I told the guy that my only grandson was only 5 years old!!!  He hung up.