Valued Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I have a 5 1/2 year old niece. She refuses to wear dresses. Doesn't play with typical girl stuff. She is always happy when she gets to look like a boy. Does that mean we should get her have a sex change. I am sure she would say yes. Way to young to understand or make that kind of decision. I think it's irresponsible of the parents.

When I was five years old I refused to wear dresses too.  My mother was so embaressed because the first day of kindergarten I refused to wear a dress.  (That was back in the 1950's when all girls wore dresses to school.)  I grew up as a "tomboy" ,(that's what it was called back then), loving to ride bikes instead of playing with dolls. I loved to work with my father when he was doing projects around the house.   All this does not make  me transgender.  I grew up to be a happy woman with two children and three grandchildren.  My point is that making the decision to transition at a very early age can cause more problems than it helps.

From the pictures I have seen at the very beginning of the Jazz show, Jazz was being dressed as a girl from the time she was a toddler.  I think her mother encouraged her instead of waiting untill she was old enough to understand the effect on her later life.  It is obvious that Jazz has serious emotional problems, and my heart goes out to her.

Esteemed Contributor

@KimmC wrote:

And i do like the show and think it is valuable.  But, as another poster said, money is not an issue for this family.  Much of the suffering tansgender people go through have to do with not being able to medically get what they need. (due to insurance and financial issues) So, in that respect, it doesn't represent all the struggles transgender people face.

@KimmC - I agree.  Programs like these may give some insight re issues the transgender community may face but in reality, it doesn't serve any purpose to those in the transgender community.  Acceptance and finance are two variables that make a big difference to successful outcomes.  I personally don't feel a very young child can make the decision re reassignment surgery because children do go through changes in psycho sexual development.  But, by late teens and early adulthood, I think they pretty much know.  I don't think reality shows like this are helpful but more aimed at the curious.  I do think the biggest factor helping the transgender community is that many, not all insurance companies do cover the cost of care including reassignment surgery. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

Honestly I can see nothing of interest in this show. I've never watched it, but the concept is lost on me. Guess I'm too old to understand the concept of choosing your own gender. I really thought that choice was made for you, and not one you choose.

How can you make a wise choice as a child?

@Perkup  Children are much wiser than we give them credit for....

Perhaps in some ways they are wise, not having been subjected to the whims and follies of aging, but I think this is far too serious a situation to be controlled by one so young. A change of mind in the future would be devastating, given the surgical procedures that have taken place.  

Frequent Contributor

@Stray  I do agree with you to some extent..as I  know my transgender child does.  However, I think any media that portrays transgender people in a realistic way can only serve to help misunderstandings.  Interestingly, I find I am much more open to accepting Jazz as transgender because of the fact that she exhibited signs so early.  It was so much more difficult for me to accept and understand my child because there were no signs growing up.

Esteemed Contributor

@KimmC  My heart goes out to you and your family.  I hope things work out in a positive way for your daughter and the rest of the family.

I don't think this show represents any of the struggles families like yours are going through.  Most of it is scripted and everything is just too accepting and understanding.  It's just not real life IMO. I know you can identify with that.

Not only does the Jazz famiy have money but TLC is paying big bucks for them to air their story.  No problems there.  Again, as I said before, Jazz seems to be spoiled beyond belief, gets whatever she wants, is allowed to say and do whatever and everyone is just fine with it.  The grands also got into the act and I DO mean "act".  

I don't get the part where, at first they were incognito and used fake names, etc, when the rest of their family, friends, schoolmates, et al - all know who they are.  A quick look and you can find their last name on google.  What was the purpose of that?  (sorry to get offtrack here but sometimes I just say what I am thinking at that moment)... LOL

Again, good to hear from you and don't be afraid to post.  Most posters here are kind and understanding.  Just ignore the ones who aren't and we will have your back.

Thanks for joining the thread.

Frequent Contributor

@sophiamarie  Thanks for your kind and welcoming words.  I agree with you about the scripted part.  No, real life is not like that.  The calls from the hospital, the intense discussions and arguments, the very real fears...all of that is what most transgender people face.  BTW..was just on the phone with Nora and I read her part of your post and she totally agreed with youSmiley Happy.  

Honored Contributor

KimmC wrote:

@Stray  I do agree with you to some extent..as I  know my transgender child does.  However, I think any media that portrays transgender people in a realistic way can only serve to help misunderstandings.  Interestingly, I find I am much more open to accepting Jazz as transgender because of the fact that she exhibited signs so early.  It was so much more difficult for me to accept and understand my child because there were no signs growing up.

Hi Kimm!  First of all, I have great respect for you, for being such a great parent.   Huge kudos - seriously!!  Heart

A lot of kids hide their feelings for a very long time.  I'm sure, at this point, you can totally understand the many reasons why so I don't need to tell you that.  Smiley Happy

Keep on keepin' on and I wish the very best for you, your daughter, and her twin brother.  

Trusted Contributor

What a conflict of interest to have Jazz to go see therapist "Cousin Debbie".  Not only for therapy, but also if this is the person who is going to give a letter of recommendation for the surgery?  So unethical. 

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

I do, it's interesting & sort of voyeuristic. I know one person going through this and their personal struggle is immense. Not many in this forum are understanding of transgender and you'll get a lot of close minded views. I wish there wasn't so much hate on this.

Just because people don't go for this, it doesn't mean they hate it.

Hate is a very strong and overused word

Just because a person doesn't embrace this doesn't mean they are hateful.  Just because we may not agree with you, certainly doesn't make us close minded  That being said, I watch in a sort of "voyeuristic" way, too.  The thing I don't understand is that when Jazz was a little boy wanting to dress like a girl, I, as a parent, would never have just gone along with it.  Instead of giving him testosterone blockers, why didn't they give him testosterone or give him estrogen blockers?  There was an episode not long ago when Jazz came home from skating with a couple of peers. Jazz was rude to the "boy".  Jazz seemed so flusterered returning home.  Jazz threw something and said something to the effect "I hate myself".  This child is mixed up.  I can't believe that a competent doctor would perform a radical surgery such as this on such a young person.  Has Jazz ever had counseling?  The father doesn't seem to have too much to say about it......the mother is pushing it.  I find the whole situation sad.  If they go ahead with this surgery, is that really going to make Jazz happy?  I doubt it.  Look at Bruce Jenner......you can tell he is a tortured soul.  It something like this ever settled so that it can lead to happiness?  Again, sad.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I have a 5 1/2 year old niece. She refuses to wear dresses. Doesn't play with typical girl stuff. She is always happy when she gets to look like a boy. Does that mean we should get her have a sex change. I am sure she would say yes. Way to young to understand or make that kind of decision. I think it's irresponsible of the parents.

@ccassadayThe question I have is, do the parents allow your niece to wear what she prefers?  Or do they force her wear girli clothes?  I do not think preferring to dress like a boy means she is transgender.  Children at that age are just learning about their likes and dislikes.  She may like wearing pants to play  in instead of a dress.

Also, No one gives a child a sex change at 5!!   Why do you even talk about that at all?  Jazz is 16. She is old enough to know what she wants and can make decisions for herself.  Her parents ARE involved. They are not irresponsible.