Honored Contributor

Gender identity is in the brain, not elsewhere, and does not always match XX or XY.  there are numerous variations on them. 

Frequent Contributor

You've mischaracterized my statements.  The DSM-5 speaks for itself.  

@Noel7 wrote:

@Dash

Wow, you really have that wrong.  The DSM 5 DOES NOT consider transgender a mental illness.  It talks about gender disphoria, which means those who feel uncomfortable with the gender they are considered to be.  NOT A MENTAL ILLNESS.

Of course they are uncomfortable, just as gay people

Frequent Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think she is spoiled because her mother is very concerned about Jazz's depression.  I think the spoiling is an attempt to keep her "happy."

Agree.  Jazz is depressed and angry.  Continuing to appear on this show is not beneficial to Jazz's mental health.  

Frequent Contributor

Toddlers don't know who they are. Jazz allegedly said she was a girl when she was two or three.  That's absurd. Toddlers don't have a sense of themselves so young. At two, my son thought he was a cat and tried to do everything cats do.  Lasted for almost a year.  

@Noel7 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

Honestly I can see nothing of interest in this show. I've never watched it, but the concept is lost on me. Guess I'm too old to understand the concept of choosing your own gender. I really thought that choice was made for you, and not one you choose.

How can you make a wise choice as a child?

@Perkup

Young people know who they are, it's not a choice for them.

Frequent Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@daisy4 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

I have a 5 1/2 year old niece. She refuses to wear dresses. Doesn't play with typical girl stuff. She is always happy when she gets to look like a boy. Does that mean we should get her have a sex change. I am sure she would say yes. Way to young to understand or make that kind of decision. I think it's irresponsible of the parents.

When I was five years old I refused to wear dresses too.  My mother was so embaressed because the first day of kindergarten I refused to wear a dress.  (That was back in the 1950's when all girls wore dresses to school.)  I grew up as a "tomboy" ,(that's what it was called back then), loving to ride bikes instead of playing with dolls. I loved to work with my father when he was doing projects around the house.   All this does not make  me transgender.  I grew up to be a happy woman with two children and three grandchildren.  My point is that making the decision to transition at a very early age can cause more problems than it helps.

From the pictures I have seen at the very beginning of the Jazz show, Jazz was being dressed as a girl from the time she was a toddler.  I think her mother encouraged her instead of waiting untill she was old enough to understand the effect on her later life.  It is obvious that Jazz has serious emotional problems, and my heart goes out to her.

@daisy4

No, there is no evidence Jazz has emotional problems, in fact, she is very grounded for a teenager under a microscope.

But Jazz does have emotional problems.  Jazz and her parents talk of her depression quite a lot on the show.  Jazz's depression and anger are very evident from watching the show.  The parents seem very concerned about her mental health.  This show is not helping Jazz.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

Honestly I can see nothing of interest in this show. I've never watched it, but the concept is lost on me. Guess I'm too old to understand the concept of choosing your own gender. I really thought that choice was made for you, and not one you choose.

@Perkup

I wish I could agree with you, but a child's brain has not reached maturity - this is a proven fact. So how can a child be sure what their __  orientation is at such an early age? An immature brain could not be fully prepared to make such a decision.

Respected Contributor

@Dash wrote:

Toddlers don't know who they are. Jazz allegedly said she was a girl when she was two or three.  That's absurd. Toddlers don't have a sense of themselves so young. At two, my son thought he was a cat and tried to do everything cats do.  Lasted for almost a year.  

@Noel7 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@Perkup

I agree Noel. So much research has been done in this area. And its society's own problems with this. That is the major roadblock.

Show me a teen who is perfectly normal and I will show you a kid who is not telling you how they really feel. So why should Jazz be any different? The dissection of this young woman is sad.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

It's a bit OT but fits the subject.  Do you remember the young Filipino girl Oprah had singing on her show?  Later she appeared in LV with (her idol) Celine Dion and also appeared as a semi-regular on Glee.

Charice Pempengco is now Jake Zyrus.

Charice singing in LV

Singing the National Anthem

@lulu2  Great voice.  It's interesting that she exhibits femine mannerisms, and usually, if a girl is masculine bent, it would show.  I wonder about her voice now, if she had to take something during her transition which changed her voice.

@mousiegirl

I wondered that too. 

To me the one of the oddest about Caitlyn Jenner is that she has Bruce's voice.  I cannot imagine Jake singing with Charice's voice.

Respected Contributor

... honestly, you found LOVE. LOVE IS UNCONDITIONAL. IT NOURISHES.....sounds like that's what you are doing

Your child has pure love-the best example in the world ,

YOU.are a wonderful parent-don't letvanybody take,that from you!

Hugs.

Poodlepet2