Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@software wrote:

@StraytoStay wrote:

I do, it's interesting & sort of voyeuristic. I know one person going through this and their personal struggle is immense. Not many in this forum are understanding of transgender and you'll get a lot of close minded views. I wish there wasn't so much hate on this.

Just because people don't go for this, it doesn't mean they hate it.

Hate is a very strong and overused word

Just because a person doesn't embrace this doesn't mean they are hateful.  Just because we may not agree with you, certainly doesn't make us close minded  That being said, I watch in a sort of "voyeuristic" way, too.  The thing I don't understand is that when Jazz was a little boy wanting to dress like a girl, I, as a parent, would never have just gone along with it.  Instead of giving him testosterone blockers, why didn't they give him testosterone or give him estrogen blockers?  There was an episode not long ago when Jazz came home from skating with a couple of peers. Jazz was rude to the "boy".  Jazz seemed so flusterered returning home.  Jazz threw something and said something to the effect "I hate myself".  This child is mixed up.  I can't believe that a competent doctor would perform a radical surgery such as this on such a young person.  Has Jazz ever had counseling?  The father doesn't seem to have too much to say about it......the mother is pushing it.  I find the whole situation sad.  If they go ahead with this surgery, is that really going to make Jazz happy?  I doubt it.  Look at Bruce Jenner......you can tell he is a tortured soul.  It something like this ever settled so that it can lead to happiness?  Again, sad.

The parents would have had her genetically tested re # of chromosomes at the very beginning when she first started seriously wanting to present as a girl. I doubt anyone would go only on what a 5 year old says/wants.

At least one of the surgeons consulted said they would not do surgery unless two psychologists/psychatrists had counseling with her and signed off that she was competent to decide and mentally healthy. I would assume any doctor would require that in a 16 year old. Jazz apparently (we are told) "hates counseling" - but if she wants surgery she will have to have counseling or she won't get the surgery. If she says "I won't" to counseling, no one's going to touch her and I assume her parents would abide by that.

Her father has, I suspect, the practical answer as to the "parent dilemma" - he would be fine waiting until Jazz is a legal adult at 18 and letting her make the decision legally on her own. That lets the mom & dad off the hook as far as "you didn't choose right for her" or "why didn't you stop me?"

I'm beginning to suspect she will not be having the surgery any time real soon.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I missed a few of the new episodes so I DVR'd them and have watched them all. I have also seen past seasons and have read Jazz's book. I try and keep an open mind about her and her journey.

What I notice is that she has quite a dichotomy between her public persona and her private self and her being a young teen and being famous isn't easy for her to handle (as it wouldn't be for most teens either). Perhaps as she grows older she will find it easier to deal with all the anxiety issues she has.

Trusted Contributor
Slightly off topic. Did Ms. Jenner do away with her "three piece set"?
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003Let me understand this fully you consider a transgender person mentally ill? You realize that its is not something that can be changed with medication, some people are use BORN THAT WAY

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My personal belief is that this is mental illness.  I totally disagree with messing with hormones and worst, altering a healthy body.

I have a child with an autism spectrum disorder, so I know what it's like to feel so judged by some others.  Having to handle a child differently can cause so much feeling of being judged.  Use medication or not.  How to handle discipline in a different way.  How you are looked at when the child melts down, etc.  Everyone else thinks they have the answer!

So you are going to love your child no matter what.  I really feel for what you must be going through.  Just keep in mind that the others don't have all the answers!!

Wishing you the best.

Hyacinth

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@daisy4 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Also, No one gives a child a sex change at 5!!   Why do you even talk about that at all?  Jazz is 16. She is old enough to know what she wants and can make decisions for herself.  Her parents ARE involved. They are not irresponsible. 

I watched some of the reruns yesterday, and if you listen carefully to the very first episode you will hear Jeanette say that Jazz was 5 years old when this started.  At 5 my children barely knew there was a difference between a boy and a girl.  The pictures shown of Jazz at that age was with pigtails in her hair and girl's clothes.  Her mother had to be responsible for that since at 5 Jazz probably didn't do it on her own!

This is true, @daisy4. I've read where many parent have come out asking for the help they can give their young children in transition. It's disgraceful and unthinkable.  

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I missed a few of the new episodes so I DVR'd them and have watched them all. I have also seen past seasons and have read Jazz's book. I try and keep an open mind about her and her journey.

What I notice is that she has quite a dichotomy between her public persona and her private self and her being a young teen and being famous isn't easy for her to handle (as it wouldn't be for most teens either). Perhaps as she grows older she will find it easier to deal with all the anxiety issues she has.

I am seeing plain old disrespectful brattiness that IMO comes from being "famous" as well as just being a teenager. I do see her mother enabling that brattiness. And mom & grandma love the limelight.

That said, I'm sure most young transgenders have emotional issues. It can't be easy, even with supportive parents. It's not a surprise that she might have issues other kids her age don't, or they're magnified.

I am seeing very bratty teenager, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde

I don't think Jazz is bratty as she is acting out. I think that there's a lot going on with her that we don't see on air. I suspect that her mom wants her to be popular but Jazz isn't and at the age that she's at she's likely being being rejected by both girls and boys at high school who don't want to be friends with her. I think that living one's life on social media as teens do nowadays isn't such a good thing either.

I am looking forward to more episodes to see what happens.

Frequent Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@hyacinth003Let me understand this fully you consider a transgender person mentally ill? You realize that its is not something that can be changed with medication, some people are use BORN THAT WAY

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My personal belief is that this is mental illness.  I totally disagree with messing with hormones and worst, altering a healthy body.

I have a child with an autism spectrum disorder, so I know what it's like to feel so judged by some others.  Having to handle a child differently can cause so much feeling of being judged.  Use medication or not.  How to handle discipline in a different way.  How you are looked at when the child melts down, etc.  Everyone else thinks they have the answer!

So you are going to love your child no matter what.  I really feel for what you must be going through.  Just keep in mind that the others don't have all the answers!!

Wishing you the best.

Hyacinth

And you understand that people with mental illness are born that way in most cases.  And medication does not cure mental illness, but helps relieve symptoms.  Many people with mental illness, such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and others, experience delusional thinking. They believe things about themselves that are not true. Examples of delusional thinking include believing one is god, Jesus or the president. We recognize that this is ill and try to treat it with compassion.  Transgender people have false beliefs about their sexual identity.  That is why they are mentally ill.  That is not a judgment or mean or hateful.  We should treat these people with compassion and treat their mental illness rather than indulge their delusions. 

Honored Contributor

@Dash wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Wishing you the best.

Hyacinth

And you understand that people with mental illness are born that way in most cases.  And medication does not cure mental illness, but helps relieve symptoms.  Many people with mental illness, such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and others, experience delusional thinking. They believe things about themselves that are not true. Examples of delusional thinking include believing one is god, Jesus or the president. We recognize that this is ill and try to treat it with compassion.  Transgender people have false beliefs about their sexual identity.  That is why they are mentally ill. That is not a judgment or mean or hateful. We should treat these people with compassion and treat their mental illness rather than indulge their delusions. 

It is, however, ignorant and totally dismissive of medical science.

Frequent Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Dash wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Wishing you the best.

Hyacinth

And you understand that people with mental illness are born that way in most cases.  And medication does not cure mental illness, but helps relieve symptoms.  Many people with mental illness, such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and others, experience delusional thinking. They believe things about themselves that are not true. Examples of delusional thinking include believing one is god, Jesus or the president. We recognize that this is ill and try to treat it with compassion.  Transgender people have false beliefs about their sexual identity.  That is why they are mentally ill. That is not a judgment or mean or hateful. We should treat these people with compassion and treat their mental illness rather than indulge their delusions. 

It is, however, ignorant and totally dismissive of medical science.

That seems to be the MO.  Call names, but don't deal with actual facts.  Gender identity disorder/dysphoria is recognized as a mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association in the DSM-5, as well as the 2017 ICD-10 published by the World Health Organization.  That's medical science.