Honored Contributor

Re: I Wish Our Local News People (Tucson)

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Every item of clothing, every pair of shoes, every haircut and styling product, every bit of makeup everyone who appears on television for a living buys is tax deductible as a business expense.  This is why you don't often see them repeating the same clothes.

Local stations are owned by companies that tend to own multiples. Either way, the orders on how the women have to dress come from the top, whether local stations or cable networks.  Not sure about the men.

This is why you see tight dresses or what i consider unprofessional,tight clothing on some stations and cable channels but not on others.

That is interesting, thank you @LoriLori 

You're quite welcome, Jackhound.  Great topic.  If you tell me the station I may be able to tell you a bit more about it. . 

Fox dictates everything worn by the women, MSNC and CNN allow women to choose their own clothing.

On my local Fox station, in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metro, the women dress waaay more provocatively than any other local station.  The three networks own my local ABC, CBS and NBC stations and would never allow that degree of raciness, although some of the women do push the boundaries.

Also I noticed on Fox & Friends the men began wearing their ties abnormally long when...you know.

I don't get the comment about a pregnant woman.  The only time it bugs me, is if their belly is covering the area I need to see, which happens.  But the men stand in front of where I want to see too sometimes so I mostly get the weather from my phone now.

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom, another one (national) who looks professional on air, stylish, refined, is Maria Bartiromo of the Fox Business channel.  She chooses lovely fabrics, good tailoring, and distinctive jewelry. 

I agree with others that although broadcasters in local markets have more restricted budgets to work with perhaps, they could duplicate restrained, attractive choices at whatever their income level.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Jackhound Mom, another one (national) who looks professional on air, stylish, refined, is Maria Bartiromo of the Fox Business channel.  She chooses lovely fabrics, good tailoring, and distinctive jewelry. 

I agree with others that although broadcasters in local markets have more restricted budgets to work with perhaps, they could duplicate restrained, attractive choices at whatever their income level.

@Oznell  I quite agree with your first paragraph. She is THE example of how to dress if one is in that profession. Yesterday I saw one of the female business professionals sitting, and with the low cut top plus the slit on the side of her dress, it was waaaay up there. That was too much. 

One of our local newscasters recently left, but I enjoyed her so much. Conservatively dressed and just the best personality. She often repeated her outfits.  Nothing wrong with that. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@MamaWickI can't remember how the news people looked when we were in Brainerd MN but if our DH's notice it's got to be extreme!  I love both your bottom quotes!!!

@Jackhound Mom  Agreeing with a lot of what you’re saying about how the professionals dress. I’ve always preferred the conservative look. 

Gotta tell you, Brainerd MN is my former area where we used to live.  We lived up in the Duluth area. Still have family up there. 

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Every item of clothing, every pair of shoes, every haircut and styling product, every bit of makeup everyone who appears on television for a living buys is tax deductible as a business expense.  This is why you don't often see them repeating the same clothes.

Local stations are owned by companies that tend to own multiples. Either way, the orders on how the women have to dress come from the top, whether local stations or cable networks.  Not sure about the men.

This is why you see tight dresses or what i consider unprofessional,tight clothing on some stations and cable channels but not on others.

That is interesting, thank you @LoriLori 

You're quite welcome, Jackhound.  Great topic.  If you tell me the station I may be able to tell you a bit more about it. . 

Fox dictates everything worn by the women, MSNC and CNN allow women to choose their own clothing.

On my local Fox station, in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metro, the women dress waaay more provocatively than any other local station.  The three networks own my local ABC, CBS and NBC stations and would never allow that degree of raciness, although some of the women do push the boundaries.

Also I noticed on Fox & Friends the men began wearing their ties abnormally long when...you know.

I don't get the comment about a pregnant woman.  The only time it bugs me, is if their belly is covering the area I need to see, which happens.  But the men stand in front of where I want to see too sometimes so I mostly get the weather from my phone now.

Interesting @LoriLori .

I've always thought the women on MSNBC were the most professionally dressed of all the cable news networks. Joy Reid in particular wears beautiful clothes. 

Honored Contributor

My daughter went to UVA with  Nora.  They were in several classes together, and knew each other casually.

She said Nora was nice and always friendly.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Now know why my DH loves local news, LOL yep they do dress with some tight clothes I do like when they mess up so funny. Oh well it's fun 

Honored Contributor

So now newpeople are bothersome? Maybe I'm just a tolerant person but when I watch the news I watch to find out the news, not critique what the hosts are wearing. I don't care what they wear. Give me whats going on in the world and I'm out. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@TeddieHey there!  We lived on the loop around Red Sand Lake and loved it!  Very nice area!  We also stayed over in Duluth on our way back to MI and drove through "ice fog" which was very scarry!  

Brainard Holiday Inn is the only place we ever lived where I could get Walleye with breakfast, I miss the extremly nice people and the food!

Thanks for writing!

Cathy

Trusted Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@TeddieHey there!  We lived on the loop around Red Sand Lake and loved it!  Very nice area!  We also stayed over in Duluth on our way back to MI and drove through "ice fog" which was very scarry!  

Brainard Holiday Inn is the only place we ever lived where I could get Walleye with breakfast, I miss the extremly nice people and the food!

Thanks for writing!

Cathy

Hey there to you, @Jackhound Mom ! How nice of you to share your experiences with me! I agree with you about the walleye. So good! I still have to get walleye sometimes when I order in restaurants. My husband likes to fish and ice fish in the winter and that’s always a treat. I lived in Duluth the first 7 years of my life and then our family moved an hour west from there. 

Good to chat with you!