Regular Contributor

Re: I Wish Our Local News People (Tucson)

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Men & woman would take a hint from Nora O'Donnell!  She is always beautifly dressed, every hair in place, calm & informative.

Ours from Tucson are goofy, dressed inappropratively, sloppy, have speech problems.

Another major grind for me is the stories about current vaping problems.  The camera people shoot multiple mouths up close!  I wrote a few channels and asked them to show the products and not mouths and hope they consider my suggestion...

Seriously?  What a thing to complain about!  I watch the Tucson local news quite often myself.  I really have not found the newscasters to be goofy and sloppy with speech problems.  Haha!

Didn't you make a big deal about leaving these boards a few months ago?  Something about the horrible way in which QVC was treating you?  And yet here you are.  Sounds like you just want something (anything) to complain about.

Esteemed Contributor

It's not just in Arizona.  We lived in Wisconsin for 14 years.  We got both the Milwaukee and Green Bay markets where women wore sequins and lace.  Even DH thought the choices were weird.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

The only one that bugs me is the chief meteoroloist girl at Ch. 13.  She posts photos of herself all the time on her station Facebook page & the only responses she seems to get are from lusty guys telling her how hot, sexy & pretty she is!  To be fair, she seems like a smart & competant weather person.

Right after she came to the station, she posted a photo of herself sitting cross-legged on a desk in a short skirt with a lot of leg showing & I'm friends on FB with one of the former chief meteorologists & asked him what were his thoughts on the pic & his repsonse was, "OMG!".  I guess it's one thing to post those things on her own personal social media pages, but when it's her official station FB page, it strikes me as odd, but maybe the station encourages the cheesecake stuff!  lol

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Local news people in somewhat major urban markets may not earn what network 'stars' make but they do pretty well, Surely well enough to dress reasonably nicely and present a polished on-air persona. My guess is either they don't want to and are allowed to do as they please or the station sees this as a way for them to 'relate' to the audience, who they must assume are all about casual to the point of sloppy. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I live in the Phoenix area the morning news is good. They get the stories out near the end they have restaurant samples and they do enjoy the food. Seems the younger reporters have to go to locations for the story. I like if they mess up & laugh. It's live TV things happen. 

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb :  You are right that medium market media folks do get past do pretty well and I believe that many get a clothing budget (so no excuses!).

Respected Contributor

@katiemichelle  My guess is that you have been here before with another name.  If you are new you probably won't last.

I come and go as I please and write about all kinds of things.  Opinions vary, why not try writing constructive posts or at least disagree with respect.

Thanks to all the other opinions about news people in the Tucson area and around the country.  Have a great weekend one and all.

CathyCat Very Happy 

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01Oh my, I'm not on FB but my DH sometimes comments on her saying "she's fishing for a husband!"  I hope she gets one! 

I did write to 2 stations about "see through" garmets and also about one older large man who truely looks like an unmade bed.  I got a nice answer about the see through clothing and they said they had to carefully comment to her and not do any "body shaming."

I love to see others looking their very best.  Guess I'm old school and that's why Nora ODonnell looks very sharp to me on CBS.  I also enjoy seening the men in suits or shirt and tie. That is just my opinion.  That is what these boards are for.   

Respected Contributor

@patbzThanks so much!!!

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@aubnwa01Oh my, I'm not on FB but my DH sometimes comments on her saying "she's fishing for a husband!"  I hope she gets one! 

I did write to 2 stations about "see through" garmets and also about one older large man who truely looks like an unmade bed.  I got a nice answer about the see through clothing and they said they had to carefully comment to her and not do any "body shaming."

I love to see others looking their very best.  Guess I'm old school and that's why Nora ODonnell looks very sharp to me on CBS.  I also enjoy seening the men in suits or shirt and tie. That is just my opinion.  That is what these boards are for.   

@Jackhound Mom   Your husband might be right!   She seems to attract a lot of horn-dog men posting on her FB page & it's downright creepy!

I mostly watch KOLD, because that's what I started watching for news when I moved here in 2006 & all the anchors, reporters & weather people were always dressed in a professional & businesslike manner.  The station is located up on my side of town & over the years, I'd see some of them out & about shopping & at Costco & such. 

Now, it seems like all the female news & weather folks are all in really tight outfits.  The station seems to have a "type" that they've been hiring lately & several of the long time folks that were really good have been let go. 

One of the anchors, a young Asian lady (Teresa Jun), who was an excellent journalist & had even won some local Emmys for her work came in a year or so ago & was told she was no longer employed & was totally blindsided by her firing.