Esteemed Contributor

When we first got Direct TV years ago we had some decent programs. Now we pay more but some channels are gone. The middle of the night is nothing but selling things to clean my floor, the newest air fryer, things to fix my crepey skin, something about Larry King's prostate and oh, let's not forget the ever popular s*x toys 50% off.

We have a free preview for a week. First on the list, The Waltons. Really. It was a Waltons Christmas, a wedding and a Thanksgiving. I didn't watch Billy Bob and Mary Sue when they were on. Also, Little House on the Prairie. Never liked it years ago. 

If they are trying to lure me to get more channels they are failing.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Need To Bag Direct TV.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I paid them $400 to get out of my contract years, ago & have never gone back!

I do have Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix & Disney but it amazes me then they shout about what is available.

Just like you said. Shows & movies from the 80s & 90s. 

Netflix does really good originals. Hulu is good for me to watch regular tv when I miss it live & I get to skip commercials.

Disney is mostly for the grandsons, but I do watch it some.

Amazon Prime I would never get, just for the tv. I use Amazon music & shipping more than the shows.

Esteemed Contributor

Yea, it's a money pit , Looking at  other options . I thought they were in financial trouble ?

Respected Contributor

I am down to $36.99 from $190 , they took my networks away , i just haven't dumped them yet. I have several steaming services  , and will get my local cable for $99 , when i start letting people in the house to install it.

Honored Contributor

I bagged Direct TV 3 1/2 yes ago and never looked back.  Got a simple interior antenna which works perfectly in my urban area (probably not so good in your rural area @CrazyKittyLvr2 ) where I get all the local channels, PBS, and about 50 Spanish + religious stations, JTV and others.  I get all the movies I can handle on Netflix. 

I tried several streaming services and so far, like YouTube TV (not regular YouTube) the best.  I also get all the local channels on it plus a lot more.  I've used Amazon Fire Stick and Roku as access devices and like Roku the best.  I also have Amazon Movies because I have Prime.  More than enough to watch, even all night.  Also Samsung has a streaming service called TV Plus built into its TVs and I enjoy that all night....it's free.  Lots of choices there too.  Get QVC and HSN through Roku.

I'm also saving quite a bit of $$$.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I'm surprised they're still around.   I dumped them a couple years for Youtube TV and had Sling for a little while but cancelled that  too.  I don't have all the weather issues I had with DirecTv with the snow on the dish and it's considerably cheaper.  

Valued Contributor

I would like to dump them too. They just raised my bill $7. It's already too high in my opinion.

I called a company to install an antenna on my roof ( I live in a rural area ) but he said it won't work because I have a mountain in the way of the signal.

I'm going to try Fubu TV and if it works out I will drop Directv. It doesn't carry the Turner channels but it does have our local sports so we can watch baseball and most of the channels I like to watch. My husband doesn't watch very much network TV but he does like to watch the  Diamondbacks.

He mostly watches Curiosity Stream. 

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We kicked DirectTV to the curb 2 years ago when they raised our bill $60 a month and would not negotiate and never looked back. I got sick of paying over $130 a month for over 60 channels of nothing but informercials all day and all night and another 60 music channels plus the array of Spanish and religious channels that we never watched. In total there were maybe 8 channels we watched regularly. We now have Amazon Prime, HULU Plus, Roku, antenna TV and are very happy.

Regular Contributor

Being sensible, we dropped DTV a few years back and went with AT&T Now streaming which eliminated more than half off our bill. When thinking about the majority of channels we do watch which are not streaming for free (local news, qvc, etc..,) I ascertained the vast majority (99%) of what we watch is on that new Discovery Plus. My only conflict is dropping AT&T Now because I pay for a cheaper plan than what is available and if I cancel it, my grandfathered plan is sayonara. Realistically though, I don't watch most of the channels available on it ans I could save a good fifty or sixty smackers.

Super Contributor

We dropped Directv 6 years ago and go an antenna. We could not be happier plus we saved a lot of money. We added a couple of streaming channels and we get more variety than Directv ever offered.