Honored Contributor

Re: I LOVE Allison Janney, Oprah, and Nicole Kidman

@holly&ivy wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

@2blonde  Now there's the laugh for the day! Oprah? 

And No, I don't agree with any of the choices. Nicole Kidman was sooo boring and just wouldn't get off the stage.

I like Nicole, (not a fan of the other two)... but she sort of commandeered the Emmy's, too, with her message... I don't know. I'm sure all these messages are valid and some are important, but some go too far given the venue... I respected Frances McDormand for noting she keeps her politics private and finding a way to make a statement without pontificating... 

I wish they would all do that -- keep their opinions to themselves.

Why? Which people should be allowed to have opinions, in your opinion?

Everyone should be allowed to have opinions, but unless we all have the opportunity, should we choose to do so, to broadcast them, then I'm not particularly interested in hearing theirs on what is supposed to be an awards show and a celebration of their work. If they want to book themselves onto talk shows to spout their theorems, then that's a different matter... 

That's ridiculous they are not forcing you to watch and I don't mind hearing their pov. 

Ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it's ridiculous to turn an awards show celebrating their industry, which is what some of us tune in to see, into a political action committee... And no, we aren't forced to watch or endure their spiels. As I've noted elsewhere, that was probably my last 'awards' show...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

And No, I don't agree with any of the choices. Nicole Kidman was sooo boring and just wouldn't get off the stage.

I like Nicole, (not a fan of the other two)... but she sort of commandeered the Emmy's, too, with her message... I don't know. I'm sure all these messages are valid and some are important, but some go too far given the venue... I respected Frances McDormand for noting she keeps her politics private and finding a way to make a statement without pontificating... 

Everyone should be allowed to have opinions, but unless we all have the opportunity, should we choose to do so, to broadcast them, then I'm not particularly interested in hearing theirs on what is supposed to be an awards show and a celebration of their work. If they want to book themselves onto talk shows to spout their theorems, then that's a different matter... 

Huh? We do all have the opportunity to broadcast them. We are doing it right now. No one is stopping anyone from standing on a soapbox and saying exactly what they think. I think you just don't like thier opinion, is all. And because you don't like it, you want to silence it. 

NO, that is not what the OP is saying. It is an awards show.  The talk should be about the industry, the movies, TV shows, the people that make them, etc.  I occasionally watch awards shows to see the dresses and see who won.  I do NOT want to hear the political opinions of the winners.  I do NOT care what they think, whether I agree with their views or not.  The fact that they THINK we care what their opinions are is the height of arrogance.  And yes, I do change the channel when they get off topic - topic being the industry itself and who they are thanking when they win.

Precisely... 

Honored Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

Huh? We do all have the opportunity to broadcast them. We are doing it right now. No one is stopping anyone from standing on a soapbox and saying exactly what they think. I think you just don't like thier opinion, is all. And because you don't like it, you want to silence it. 

And you'd be wrong...

Honored Contributor

@tdog wrote:

Everyone was wearing black, except Frances McDormand, who wore blue!! Wonder why; does she not own a black dress. Or was she makng a statement of her own?

She made her statement when she said she keeps her politics private... 

Smiley Happy

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

@Maudlynn  They should, but at an appropriate time and place.  Not at an awards ceremony related to their work.

Honored Contributor

Guaranteed that if the industry got together and did a nationally televised telethon on the same subject the Hollywood haters would whine about them voicing their opinions. that "the other side" (what side is that again?) didn't get equal time.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Guaranteed that if the industry got together and did a nationally televised telethon on the same subject the Hollywood haters would whine about them voicing their opinions. that "the other side" (what side is that again?) didn't get equal time.

"Whine"?  How about treating the opinions of others who disagree with your opinion with respect that everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it isn't the same as yours.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

"Whine"?  How about treating the opinions of others who disagree with your opinion with respect that everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it isn't the same as yours.

Thank you, I resent calling stances you don't agree with 'whining'.  It's petty.  There aren't any young children posting here last I checked.