Re: I LOVE Allison Janney, Oprah, and Nicole Kidman

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

@2blonde  Now there's the laugh for the day! Oprah? 

And No, I don't agree with any of the choices. Nicole Kidman was sooo boring and just wouldn't get off the stage.

I like Nicole, (not a fan of the other two)... but she sort of commandeered the Emmy's, too, with her message... I don't know. I'm sure all these messages are valid and some are important, but some go too far given the venue... I respected Frances McDormand for noting she keeps her politics private and finding a way to make a statement without pontificating... 

I wish they would all do that -- keep their opinions to themselves.

Why? Which people should be allowed to have opinions, in your opinion?

Everyone should be allowed to have opinions, but unless we all have the opportunity, should we choose to do so, to broadcast them, then I'm not particularly interested in hearing theirs on what is supposed to be an awards show and a celebration of their work. If they want to book themselves onto talk shows to spout their theorems, then that's a different matter... 

Huh? We do all have the opportunity to broadcast them. We are doing it right now. No one is stopping anyone from standing on a soapbox and saying exactly what they think. I think you just don't like thier opinion, is all. And because you don't like it, you want to silence it. 

NO, that is not what the OP is saying. It is an awards show.  The talk should be about the industry, the movies, TV shows, the people that make them, etc.  I occasionally watch awards shows to see the dresses and see who won.  I do NOT want to hear the political opinions of the winners.  I do NOT care what they think, whether I agree with their views or not.  The fact that they THINK we care what their opinions are is the height of arrogance.  And yes, I do change the channel when they get off topic - topic being the industry itself and who they are thanking when they win.

And you putting your opinion here, is it not the height of arrogance/ To think we care about your opinions? Your logic is off. The topic being brought to light was NOT political. It is about sexual harassment and abuse. If they were dressing in solidarity against child abuse, would you be just as turned off?

Didn't think so.

Again- you're poisoned with talking points against Hollywood, by people who are afraid of anyone who has a soapbox to make their voice heard and who will say anything to discredit that opinion. So sorry you're a victim. But you don't have to be.

Honored Contributor

I will tell you why I said “That’s all”.

The reason is, because I love the three of them.

If you have an opinion about award shows, or the participants in them, you vote with your wallet and your time, by not watching the show and not supporting its advertisers.

My opinion, as stated, stands as written, and I’m totally comfortable with it.

Valued Contributor

I thought Oprah did a fine job in her speech as did A Janey. It seemed on my tv that the host, Seth, was yelling his words and not speaking in a normal tone. Rather disconcerting .

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

There's talk of Oprah running for President in 2020!

that would be a nightmare....ugh.

Honored Contributor

elruth,

I was puzzled by Seth's delivery, too, and today a thought struck me.  Is he imitating, to an extent, Jerry Seinfeld's style of delivery?

Just a thought. 

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

@2blonde  Now there's the laugh for the day! Oprah? 

And No, I don't agree with any of the choices. Nicole Kidman was sooo boring and just wouldn't get off the stage.

I like Nicole, (not a fan of the other two)... but she sort of commandeered the Emmy's, too, with her message... I don't know. I'm sure all these messages are valid and some are important, but some go too far given the venue... I respected Frances McDormand for noting she keeps her politics private and finding a way to make a statement without pontificating... 

I wish they would all do that -- keep their opinions to themselves.

Why? Which people should be allowed to have opinions, in your opinion?

Everyone should be allowed to have opinions, but unless we all have the opportunity, should we choose to do so, to broadcast them, then I'm not particularly interested in hearing theirs on what is supposed to be an awards show and a celebration of their work. If they want to book themselves onto talk shows to spout their theorems, then that's a different matter... 

Huh? We do all have the opportunity to broadcast them. We are doing it right now. No one is stopping anyone from standing on a soapbox and saying exactly what they think. I think you just don't like thier opinion, is all. And because you don't like it, you want to silence it. 

NO, that is not what the OP is saying. It is an awards show.  The talk should be about the industry, the movies, TV shows, the people that make them, etc.  I occasionally watch awards shows to see the dresses and see who won.  I do NOT want to hear the political opinions of the winners.  I do NOT care what they think, whether I agree with their views or not.  The fact that they THINK we care what their opinions are is the height of arrogance.  And yes, I do change the channel when they get off topic - topic being the industry itself and who they are thanking when they win.

And you putting your opinion here, is it not the height of arrogance/ To think we care about your opinions? Your logic is off. The topic being brought to light was NOT political. It is about sexual harassment and abuse. If they were dressing in solidarity against child abuse, would you be just as turned off?

Didn't think so.

Again- you're poisoned with talking points against Hollywood, by people who are afraid of anyone who has a soapbox to make their voice heard and who will say anything to discredit that opinion. So sorry you're a victim. But you don't have to be.

I was not referring to the sexual abuse comments.  I was refering to the political comments, though to be honest, there were not as many this time due to the sexual abuse topic they all wanted to harp about.  This was a nationally televised program about the Golden Globe awards.  That is what should have been celebrated and discussed.  But they know that millions of people are watching and can't help but get in their political digs.  Sure we all have opinions and are free to express them, in the proper time and place.  Awards shows are NOT the time and place to bring in their personal politics, but I guess they do because they can reach the most people with their talking points.  Don't know why you don't see that.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

There's talk of Oprah running for President in 2020!

We were laughing about that at work today....

Esteemed Contributor

"Sure we all have opinions and are free to express them, in the proper time and place.  Awards shows are NOT the time and place to bring in their personal politics, but I guess they do because they can reach the most people with their talking points.  Don't know why you don't see that."

My guess is others don't see it because they figure that just because you say it's not the time or place doesn't make that true.

Some people probably figure it's the actor's award show, the actors have something they want to highlight, so what better place would there be than their own national platform? Just a thought.

Valued Contributor

Everyone was wearing black, except Frances McDormand, who wore blue!! Wonder why; does she not own a black dress. Or was she makng a statement of her own?