Honored Contributor

I Found Another Thing Wrong With The New Forum

I just did a live computer chat with a QVC associated.  I wanted to be able to get a variety of forum subjects with the most recent posts coming up on the front first page.

The QVC associate in the CHAT mode said it isn't possible to adjust this forum to make it do that.  I said, "That doesn't make sense.  It could mean there were more recent subjects mentioned that were on pages 2, 3 or more but they'd be missed because so and so subject got the most hearts".

This heart thing is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  I can't believe QVC is doing this.  It is a popularity contest.  I'm too old for heart contests.

Anyway, the person on the other end said, "There is no way to adjust the forum so it could be like it used to be on the variety section".

There you go.  He/she said they would tell the QVC Gods my issue.  He/she said perhaps it could eventually go back to the old forum or fix this mess.

Ugh!  I don't understand why they couldn't leave it alone.  I do like the way we have more people (intelligent, wonderful people) on our TV forum, but I feel like some of them are here because they have no choice (they'd like to just be on the BOOKS or MOVIE forum and they've been railroaded into the TV section.

Anyway, I've vented.  No I'll rest my fingers.  I want everyone to know when I get upset with anyone I tell them I know it's not their fault that they're just doing their job.  Don't think I take my frustration out on people just doing their job.  It's important to me that all of you guys don't think I'm a smart alec bully.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Found Another Thing Wrong With The New Forum

Oh no... That is a major dealbreaker. Seriously. I have been trying to find a way to view that way. It is the only way that makes any sense. 

It is not a small thing. And it is not something most people don't care about. 

I have yet to find anything good or improved about this format. 

Super Contributor

Annabelle, are you saying that the number of hearts a post gets puts it higher up on a page?  If so, that's ridiculous.  I've noticed I have to keep looking further and further to make sure I'm not missing new posts.  I may be misunderstanding what you're saying about the hearts.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Respected Contributor

I've been trying to do that too! Ridiculous. Thank you for posting. That's all fine and dandy if you agree with the people heart-King, but what if you don't ? No way to connect with like minded people because you don't subscribe to the popular view? This is not a proper forum anymore then. This was a seriously jerk move the Q made. I wonder if it even stops the troll? It is hard to read, not fun-no emoticons, labor intensive and poorly designed.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Honored Contributor

I know, I agree.  I like my TV forum but every now and then I'd go over to the Community and get a variety of subjects.  They'd be some of everything and it moved very quickly and was always the latest posts.

Now you don't see that.  I hate that stupid heart thing.  I think the way to grow as a person is to see a variety of subjects and view viewpoints from everyone (especially those you might or might not agree with).  I don't care about Wen in particular.  That's the main one I could think of (I'm sure they'd feel that way about something I like).

This was a dumb idea (changing the forum).  I was one of the people contacted about the changes.  They kept saying you are not to mention what you were asked.

That's really funny (evidentally they've never seen my zillion bla bla posts about zip and how I go on and on about my terrible memory).  Ha!

Anyway, I guess they asked others about these changes.  They were just a variety of questions (who remembers).  They then decided what they were going to do (I'm sure they made out their minds in the beginning.

My guess is they are getting a lot of kick back on this (not good ones especially).  I could be totally wrong, but we'd never know.  QVC doesn't strike me as someone who would just change something back (that would be admitting defeat.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Annabelle, were there a lot of questions?  Did they ask you questions more than one time?  I'm curious what their process was.  Annabelle, did you see my message 3 to you?

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Respected Contributor

I keep getting bump off  at least I did not get the red flash...

I lost my last post  I said it was ALL the more reason that each of the topics should have their own space for TV, Movies , and books I also miss the view count and the old spell check which was good for someone like me...

Honored Contributor

I agree with you java.  This whole thing is frustrating!  I would love to know how this change came about.

We'll never know.  Just some suits sitting around thinking how they can "UPDATE" the forum.

I don't want to be updated.

I get the red lettering over and over.  I just keep hitting "post" over and over.

Honored Contributor

You are right about the hearts.  I thought I misunderstood and someone here (probably on this topic) commented that they were upset about the hearts because it might not be a topic they were interested in.

Again, I do mess up things, but that's they way I understood it.

Java, any of you know if I'm messing this up?  Maybe I am.  I think this heart thing is dumb.  I hope I'm wrong.

Trusted Contributor

annabelle, I don't entirely understand what you posted. I think the person you chatted with was misinformed.

I don't see where the top hearted posts get seen first. The only place top hearted posts are mentioned are if you click on Forums (the generic link) and at the left side under the next heading after Community Menu they will be listed there. You will see that none of those top hearted posts actually show up under Recent Posts.

When I click on Forums or even Forums and Blogs, threads come up in order of posting time. When you click on more Recent Forum Posts, you have the option of choosing by "Topic" or by "Post". I think the default is Topics and in this option, you may see threads that were responded to out of order. If you choose Posts (which I always do) you will see that all the threads are in order from newest post first.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In