Respected Contributor

Re: I Am Patrick Swayze

[ Edited ]

I just watched it and thought it was well done.  His wife did an excellent job, narrating/commentating. His brother was very articulate expressing his take on everything.  I was taken back by his (Don's) gaunt appearance.  The actors and actresses featured added a great deal to the "story."  I was impressed with C Thomas Howell. (although he looked far older than 52)

I remember the night PS appeared on Stand Up 4 Cancer.  I was shocked by his appearance.  Though I'm sure he was reading it, his speech was so heartfelt.  When he "invited" the public to join him and stand up 4 cancer, I remember crying.

Tomorrow I have my final chemo.  Will those of you reading my post, join me and stand up 4 cancer?

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 Thank you for reminding me that this program is available to view.  I just finished watching it.  Now, I need to go watch Ghost again.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know much about him previously before watching this special other than seeing him in Dirty Dancing and Ghost.  I knew he was a very good dancer but was not aware of his extensive ballet and dance training from a young child and that he was once a member of a ballet company and performed professionally.  

From the show, it sounded as though his mother doted on him nearly to the point of obsession and this I feel surely must have added or caused his issues of never feeling he was doing enough or was enough, no matter how much he achieved, or how good he truly was.  

It seemed as though after his father passed, that he really lost his way and was never ever to fully recover from this loss.

So very sad that he lost his life at such a young age.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Oh, man!

I just watched it on 'On Demand', incredible documentary on Patrick Swayze.

I learned so much about him that I'd never heard before.

I'm at the end, after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, did a speech about it, then Lisa had his favorite horse do a 'bow down' to him outside his bedroom window.

She was incredible and certainly his rock, I have much respect for her.

I'm choking back tears.....

@KingstonsMom @Jordan2  I watched it On Demand last night and thought it was done incredibly well. A great tribute- I felt it focused on his life moreso. The last  15 minutes or so was about his final months- I wonder if that was a wish of his towards the end. He never gave up living- I remember he taped a  tv series well after his diagnosis. I was amazed that he contuinued to work !

Pancreatic cancer is a horrible disease with little -  or no-  early diagnosis, I wonder how Alex Trebek is doing ....

Honored Contributor

This was definitely Lisa's version of his life and I wonder why she needed to share the bad stuff?

At first the fact that he was drinking slipped out and she said, "we can edit that out, right?"  But they didn't.  She said she put in her book that they separated for a year, but not really because she was at the ranch every day.

He was bipolar and self medicated with alcohol.

I just felt it was unnecessary to share this at this point in time.  What can be gained by sharing this other than making money on the program?

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

Re: I Am Patrick Swayze

[ Edited ]

I was struck by Don's gaunt appearance too and wondered if he also is battling cancer.   I think they did a very good job with the documentary and kindly discussing the battles that Patrick and his wife went through.  My TV didn't record the whole thing and I was able to watch it at the Paramount website.  Not sure if it is still available there. 

Good luck with your journey.  That is wonderful that you have finished chemo!! Smiley Happy  I have a chronic cancer that stays in the same spot, so we just watch it year after year.  Have been dealing with it since 2012 (I went through a couple rounds of treatment and a short remission already)....here's to hoping someday this horrible disease will no longer exist. 

Best wishes. 

I just watched it and thought it was well done.  His wife did an excellent job, narrating/commentating. His brother was very articulate expressing his take on everything.  I was taken back by his (Don's) gaunt appearance.  The actors and actresses featured added a great deal to the "story."  I was impressed with C Thomas Howell. (although he looked far older than 52)

I remember the night PS appeared on Stand Up 4 Cancer.  I was shocked by his appearance.  Though I'm sure he was reading it, his speech was so heartfelt.  When he "invited" the public to join him and stand up 4 cancer, I remember crying.

Tomorrow I have my final chemo.  Will those of you reading my post, join me and stand up 4 cancer?

Janet in Georgia
Respected Contributor

@GeorgiaJanet 

Thank you for your kind response.  I'm finished with chemo. (for now!)

I will reciprocate and wish you good luck as your journey continues.

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

This was definitely Lisa's version of his life and I wonder why she needed to share the bad stuff?

At first the fact that he was drinking slipped out and she said, "we can edit that out, right?"  But they didn't.  She said she put in her book that they separated for a year, but not really because she was at the ranch every day.

He was bipolar and self medicated with alcohol.

I just felt it was unnecessary to share this at this point in time.  What can be gained by sharing this other than making money on the program?

@VaBelle35  I never heard that Patrick was bipolar- the documentary didn't talk about that either. They mentioned  his drinking escalated after the dealth of his father.