Honored Contributor

I currently have no cable or satellite and have been streaming only for weeks now. I have thought about Hulu but don't know a lot about it.  I am not a huge tv watcher but I do like certain shows and I'm a little tired of watching them with altered voices or big anime characters attached to them from youtube.    

For those of you who have Hulu, do you use it?  I have had Netflix for years but find I only watch it once a year when Orange is the New Black drops and occasionally for an old tv show.  Not interested in most of what they offer and will probably get rid of it when Orange ends next year.  

I understand Hulu is more about tv which is what I am looking for.  I don't mind being a day behind or commercials.   Is it true and correct that I can I get current tv shows on Hulu?  If so, I think I'll give them my $12 for a year but wanted to be sure I understood what Hulu was first.  

Frequent Contributor

Hello,

i have had Hulu for the past 6 months, I have their live tv package for 39.99 per month no contract and I enjoy that. I have not tried the packages without live tv so I’m not sure how good they are but you can always cancel without any issues and I love that option. Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

At the recommendation of some posters here, I bought a digital antenna for about $40 which provides local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) plus Fox, QVC, MeTV, and several others.  At first we just had Hulu which I thought would allow me to watch favorite TV shows, but I learned that it allowed for ABC shows the next day, but not NBC and CBS.  

When I had cable and satellite, I mostly watched TV Land and other channels that played old reruns. Hulu definitely fills that void as it offers many syndicated shows.  I watched all of Hill Street Blues and am now making my way through NYPD Blue.  I watch something from Hulu every day.  

DH loves sports, so we signed up for a free trial of Hulu Live that would be an extra $39/month with several stations like ESPN.  He decided not to keep it, but I thought for the price it was still cheaper than what we paid each month for cable and satellite.

This week I have a trial of Philo which will cost $16/month if we decide to keep it.  This has several channels like A & E, History, AMC, HGTV, Hallmark.  I think I might stick with this and my regular Hulu.  Both of these are still much cheaper than what we paid each month for cable.

Another streaming trial we used was YouTube Red for $10/month.  Loved seeing the new Karate Kid show!  But decided it wasn't worth keeping since the next episodes won't come out until next year.  When the new season airs, we'll try a new subscription.  We really enjoyed that show!

Honored Contributor
Thank you guys for being so helpful!
Respected Contributor

@Laura14 for years I was using my son's Hulu account and decided to sign up 2 weeks ago for $5.99.  I was so done when I saw the .99 for the same limited plan for a year.  I watch some Hulu but the shows I really like I have to wait a couple of days before watching. Thinking about canceling and signing up again!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hulu 99 cent deal

[ Edited ]

Just an FYI - anybody who uses Sprint as their cell phone carrier can have Hulu (just the regular one with commercials) for free.   

It's not just free for a while - it's FREE.

Respected Contributor

We've had Hulu for a couple months.  If we didn't already have it I would have snatched that 99 cents per month deal!

Super Contributor

I am on my sister's Netflix account and enjoy watching it. I saw the Hulu deal on my Facebook feed and signed up. Hulu has some orginial programming that you might enjoy it. I also saw that you can add Showtime for $4.99 for 3 months. I will probably sign up for 3 months then cancel Showtime. I would like to see The Affair and the current season of Shameless. Hulu also has older series and movies. I found Hulu a little harder to navigate than Netflix. 

Respected Contributor

@texassunflower   I also find Netflix the easiest to navigate.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think Hulu is easy to navigate.  If there's a particular show or movie I want to see, I just enter the title in the search box.  There are other ways to search by genre or network too.  Once I've watched an episode of a show, it appears in My Watch List so I can quickly find it and it alerts me the if there's a new episode.  I like how it has a resume feature where I can quickly start an episode where I previously left off.