Honored Contributor

Anyone watching it other than me? The characters are odd, especially Helen and the brother whose name I don't recall although I should since they're always telling him to be quiet. Both of them belong on the Q for all their over talking. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Anyone watching it other than me? The characters are odd, especially Helen and the brother whose name I don't recall although I should since they're always telling him to be quiet. Both of them belong on the Q for all their over talking. 

I've been watching it, but I don't understand all of the relationships & it seems hard to follow to me.  I think the oddball brother is named Tibby or something like that.

Is the only reason the older guy is interested in the older sister, Margaret (?) because his late wife willed her the house or does he have true feelings for her? 

I guess I just don't understand the social norms of that time period!    Are the Schlegels wealthy in their own right?

Super Contributor

I've decided that the wife who died knew that her husband could be happy with Margeret after she died.  She liked Margeret and wanted the husband to be happy.  So she brought them together by leaving the house to Margeret.  

Just my romantic hopes (?) or was it written that way??

Trusted Contributor

She doesn't know the house was willed to her. Also she found out  last night he had a mistress while he was still married to her friend.

Also in the last scene she writing a letter and it starts out " My Dear Boy ". What do you think that means? Does she have a son? The plot thickens.

Valued Contributor

Loved the Merchant Ivory Productions movie in the 90's so this masterpiece version is a real disappointment.  Emma Thompson  won the 1993 academy award best actress for her portrayal of Margaret Schlegel.  Forcing myself to watch this masterpiece.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

I watched an episode and a half of these two new hot messes on Sunday night PBS and haven't been back or thought of them.  Both were terrible. 

Super Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

Loved the Merchant Ivory Productions movie in the 90's so this masterpiece version is a real disappointment.  Emma Thompson  won the 1993 academy award best actress for her portrayal of Margaret Schlegel.  Forcing myself to watch this masterpiece.

Totally agree. This masterpiece production does not follow the book at all. Helen is supposed to a beauty with personality who man just love. Helen is this version is dull. I am finding the masterpiece series painful to watch.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01  Thank you, it is Tibby.

I don't think he wanted to marry her for the house or he wouldn't have ended their engagement after his former mistress showed up. That sister, Helen, is so impulsive without a thought for how her actions will adversely affect her sister. 

Tibby goes away to school, I believe, maybe that's to whom she was writing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Howards End PBS

[ Edited ]

I happen to think it is quite good,the acting is  very good.I am not having a problem with following it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have been watching from the beginning, and I also saw the movie with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins.   The Masterpiece one is hard to follow at times, at first I thought the brother was Timmy, but last night it seemed as if they were saying Tibby, he is definitely an odd ball.  I am enjoying so far!