Respected Contributor

Re: How Vivian Leigh Became Scarlet In Gone With The Wind

@ECBG 

Another thing: producers selected a theater in CA for the film's preview audience. They wanted a large audience, so they selected one showing Beau Geste. After that movie ended, an announcement was made that they'd be previewing a [long] movie in its entirety, offering them a chance to leave if they wished, as no one would be allowed out or in once the movie began.

GWTW hadn't yet been scored, and there were no introductory titles, so they inserted music from The Prisoner of Zenda. When Margaret Mitchell's name appeared onscreen, the audience went wild, as they recognized her name from the novel. We even see some critiques from the comment cards which were completed.

It's a great documentary, especially for fans of this film--and available on Amazon for less than 10 bucks. I just checked lol!

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

She ended up being a good fit, but I do believe other actresses would've have done well also, under good direction.

Had the movie been made much later, wouldn't Elizabeth Taylor been great for Scarlett!

I never felt Leslie Howard was a good pick for his part, someone like Errol Flynn would've been good.

Slightly off/topic, but the only standout for a poor choice of actress--for me is....Diane Keaton in The Godfather.

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady - Thanks - I just ordered it! When I was first married our one extra bedroom was decorated with Gone With The Wind items. I grew up with the legend of the south. It wasn't until I was older that I understood everything. 

My mom gave me the cookbook and a replica of the original book. DH gave me a Madame Alexander "Scarlett" (in her white dress) for Christmas a few years after we were married. We have no "extra" bedroom now, but back then I had the book and Scarlett on the corner of the dresser. I kept a travel book about Georgia and the cookbook on the nightstand. My grandmother had given me an old frilly lamp that was probably from the early 1900's (?) - I just knew it was old! 

I remember watching Jezebel with my mom and her saying Bette Davis was upset she wasn't cast as Scarlett, so she did this. I also remember her favorite actress Susan Hayward had tried out. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady @Thank you!!!!!!!  I certainly will check out that video!  Here's my collection.

20200405_163735.jpg

Respected Contributor

@ECBG @

Omigosh! They' gorgeous! Any one of those plates, alone, would be beautiful on display.

I used to work with a woman who collected all things related to GWTW. (I got her a VHS tape of that docmentary for her birthday lol!) She would have loved your plates.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote:

@ECBG @

Omigosh! They' gorgeous! Any one of those plates, alone, would be beautiful on display.

I used to work with a woman who collected all things related to GWTW. (I got her a VHS tape of that docmentary for her birthday lol!) She would have loved your plates.

@Moonlady Thank you.  You may be able to find them on ebay.  I bought the plate collars fron Bradford Mint as well.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

Yes! The documentary also mentions Jezebel and Bette Davis. In fact, they dismissed her early on because she'd already appeared in Jezebel.

Also, you'll be happy to see Susan Hayward (using her given name, Edythe Marrener) in one of her screen tests for the role of Scarlett, too!

And you make an excellent point about understanding  the movie more after seeing it again. I've found that I notice something new every time I see GWTW, or at least have more appreciation for certain scenes.

It never gets old.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved watching .... THANKS for posting🥰

Honored Contributor

@January121 @Moonlady @beach-mom @Lucky Charm @Big Joanie and Ladies!  Several sets are available on ebay!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for this info...it was very interesting.  No one could have played Scarlett O'Hara except Vivian Leigh!