Honored Contributor

How Vivian Leigh Became Scarlet In Gone With The Wind

Bette Davis, Garbo, Hepburn, and other top actresses vied to be Scarlet.

The very interesting story of how the top grossing film ever came to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuP1T0m0OZ4

Respected Contributor

Re: How Vivian Leigh Became Scarlet In Gone With The Wind

Only when you see the screen tests of some of the other actresses

they were thinking of for the part do you realize how perfect Vivian

Leigh was ....

Honored Contributor

@ECBG - This was the first real novel I ever read, and when I finally saw the movie it was amazing. I grew up near Savannah, and I loved the characters of the book and the history - good and bad.

I've learned all I can about the casting of the movie and other trivia. I remember watching a TV movie about her casting when I was younger. It is great to see the ones who did try out. 

Thank you for posting this! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Loved watching this!   Thanks for posting it!

Respected Contributor

very interesting!  i enjoyed this @ECBG  ... thanks for posting. 

Honored Contributor

Haven't watched the youtube version but TCM did 90 minutes on the making of Gone With The Wind.  Some of the actresses that were considered for Scarlett, Jean Arthur?!!!, amazed me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, yes. The "backstory" of GWTW is very interesting, indeed.

I have the DVD, The Making of a Legend: Gone With The Wind (runs a little over 2 hours), and it covers, among other things, the search for Scarlett in detail, including screen tests with top contenders. 

I found the screen tests--and the reasons for dismissing  actors--very  interesting: in certain scenes, top contending male and female actors didn't have chemistry (or it didn't translate to the screen), Jeffrey Lynn was unimpressive, and Melvyn Douglas came off as "too beefy" in the role of Ashley Wilkes, Katharine Hepburn didn't possess the "sex qualities" for the role of Scarlett (and there was a public dislike of her at the time because of her relationship with Spencer Tracy), others were simply "all wrong" for their respective parts...

One who had been all right lol for hers, was Paulette Goddard as Scarlett, and this is detailed, too. She was the top contender--until Vivien Leigh rode in.

Also, when a publisher read Margaret Mitchell's original manuscript, he didn't like the name she'd given the heroine: Pansy O'Hara. So they both changed it to Scarlett. Thank you, thank you lol!

I like this documentary almost as much as GWTW, a movie which still manages to captivate viewers.

The_Making_of_a_Legend-_Gone_with_the_Wind.jpg

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie -

I remember watching this and also thought after watching all the others, that no one else but Vivien Leigh could have been Scarlet.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Big Joanie -

I remember watching this and also thought after watching all the others, that no one else but Vivien Leigh could have been Scarlet.

And then there is Rhett Butler .....Hmmmm....can't imagine anyone else

for that role either ....

Honored Contributor

@Moonlady OH!  Thank you for all of that information!  I have always loved GWTW and have seen it 32 times.Smiley Happy

I have the Bradford Mint plates in my dining room.