Respected Contributor

Re: How Often Do You Actually Go To The Movies?

Once in a while we go, but it seems like the really good movies without a lot of violence or foul language are kind of scarce these days.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The expense of going to the movies is ridiculous. You sit in a cold, crowded theater and risk getting flu or whatever. I preferwatching DVDs at home. You can eat snacks that don’t cost a fortune, pause when you need to, and don’t have to put up with rude people making noise. 

Honored Contributor

Have always been a film junkie, but go quite rarely now.  Only when there's a compelling movie of high quality, and as @Azcowgirl alluded to, those are not that common now.

Of the relative few people who manage to make it to the point where they have the resources to make films, not many have a mind set or world view that I find interesting or admirable.  Often quite the opposite.  There's so little  diversity of thought in the industry.   Too much is formulaic, deadening or driven by a tired, single agenda.

But we go whenever something comes along that seems promising! 

Honored Contributor

It is sporadic. It just depends on what is playing. Some things are just better on a big screen. We go to matinees, so it is usually quiet, and we haven't run into any problems, plus it is cheaper.

Esteemed Contributor

At least once a month, sometimes twice, one in a blue moon if enough good movies are playing 3 times but that doesn't happen offen. 

Trusted Contributor

The last movie I saw in the theatre was "Lincoln".    When I was young I went to every movie.  I loved going to the movies.  Now it is hard for me to sit there for 2 hours.  It is more comfortable to watch at home.  I can take a break when I need to.  

Honored Contributor

I go with the same GF most times. We met working together on my first job and go after work. When we were no longer working together- - still met after work and made a point of seeing a movie and dinner to stay in touch. Now we meet up usually on a weekday matinee. The last movie was Downton Abby.

Super Contributor

The last movie I saw in the theater was A Star Is Born. I  can't sit for long periods of time because of my back. I need to stand and give my back and tail bone a rest. I'm sure that bothered others even though I had an aisle seat. I rarely go to the movies because Redbox tends to get them in 4 months time. It's the rare movie I can't wait 4 months to see. I agree that some movies need to be seen on the big screen. 

Honored Contributor

The last movie I went to see was probably over a year ago.  I forget the name of it but it starred Clint Eastwood.  DH and I are very select about what we see and also because we don't care for crowds and a lot of times people are inconsiderate -- using cell phones, talking out loud, etc.  We usually just prefer watching movies on demand, Show Time, Netflix, etc.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Haven't been since 1998 or 1999. They don't make them like they used to. I much prefer TCM, myself.