Honored Contributor

How Green Was My Valley on TCM!

One of my top 10 favorite movies, I just love it. Will be on Thursday, 7/17, on TCM. If interested check your local listing.

I always have a good cry at the end.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Green Was My Valley on TCM!

[ Edited ]

One of my favorites, too, lovemygrands!  

If you are the nostalgic sort.  If you respect and value the past.  If you realize the beauty and value of the simple beauties of your upbringing - the value of what is genuine -- this movie is for you.

I never fail to cry. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 Other than the end, the other weepiest part is when Hugh (English spelling of the Welsh name) comes up from the mine with his father who was killed in the mining accident.

I always wear an old shirt to wipe my eyes on when I watch this as I go through too much Kleenex.

Honored Contributor

I think the "punch" of this movie is what many of us older ones have felt in our life.  Perhaps we wanted to get away from our beginnings, to go off to something better, shinier, more exciting.  But in retrospect, we see how happy we all were in days gone by with our family of origin -- even with difficulties and challenges...before life got hold of us.

Yes, that "life getting hold of us" really changes our view of our past and our youth.

The scene you referenced is a heartbreaker, lovemy grands.  

Honored Contributor

@golding76 Have to disagree on one point. I don't long for my chaotic, dysfunctional, awful family I grew up in. No one would want to go back to that. No. One.

But I think it makes me love movies like this all the more. And the narration is first rate.

Honored Contributor

I understand, lovemygrands.

Honored Contributor

As a reminder, the movie begins at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight, Thursday, 7/16.

Truly an unforgettable and touching experience.

Honored Contributor

A local movie theatre used to show "old" movies every Sunday before the virus. So glad my son took me as often as he did. It was always a thrill to see the movie on the big screen. I think it was Mother's Day 2019 when they showed How Green Was My Valley. I had seen that movie countless times on TV. But really enjoyed seeing it in the theatre.

Guess it also is special to me because I am part Welsh.

Respected Contributor

I've never seen this particular movie but from reading the comments I can see how this movie has touched so many.  

I'm certainly not trying to make light of it but seeing the title of this post instantly brought to mind the Frasier episode where he was desperately trying to find this movie at the video shop.   

Does anyone remember this episode?   It was pretty funny.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

APOLOGIES TO ALL!

The movie airs tomorrow night, Friday, 7/17, at 8:00 p.m.