Honored Contributor

How Green Was My Valley on TCM !!

I adore this movie, it's in my top 10.

Checking TCM and see it is on March 22nd. The local time listed is 7:15 here in WA state. Check local listings. One of the best movies ever IMO. Love Donald Crisp in everything and Roddy McDowall is wonderful.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Green Was My Valley on TCM !!

Thanks for the info!

Due to the absolutely pathetic stuff on TV these days, I went in and set the DVR to record a whole bunch of  the TCM lineup.  Esp the x amount of Days of Oscar movies scheduled.

One thing I will say though...good gravy...older movies are LONG!

3-4 hours for so many of them!!  Cleopatra is over 4 I think and NO commercials!

Good thing I tape them, cuz I keep fallng asleep!  Takes 2-3 viewings for me to see it all.

Honored Contributor

There have been, and continue to be, a LOT of Tivo worthy movies on TCM this month!

Honored Contributor

It is one of my most beloved movies.

Bring the box of Kleenex close to me, please.  I typically begin crying from the outset of this movie.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 And at the end when Hew is remembering his life, the pastor, his Da and his brothers, that is when I cry my eyes out.

One of the most loving and heartfelt movies ever.

And didn't you just loathe that housekeeper at his sister's house? (I won't say home as there was no love between the sister and that creep she was pressured into marrying).

Honored Contributor

Thanks...my mother's favorite movie....I checked March 22 and didn't see it, maybe they have not finished the complete list of films that will be shown on that day.   Tonight I'm watching Lost Horizons...one of my favorites that I already recorded from the March TCM lineup.

Esteemed Contributor

March 22:  Featuring Oscar Winners From the 1940s

The Secret Land

This Land is Mine

49th Parallel 

The Search

Battleground 

Airforce 

30 Seconds Over Tokyo

The Grapes of Wrath

How Green Was My Valley

A Letter To Three Wives

Kitty Foyle

Blithe Spirit 

That Hamilton Woman

Valued Contributor

"Men like my father cannot die.  They are with me still---real in memory as they were in flesh, loving and beloved forever.  How green was my valley then..."

Scene.  Kleenex.

And then you have Cleopatra's entrance into Rome...1963 film making.  No Computer generated anything. Just plain jaw dropping, spectacular work from real live human beings. That scene alone is worth the price of admission.

And then again....you have absolutely anything starring the beautiful Greer Garson.

There are whole generations that will not watch anything in black and white.

More's the pity!  They will never know what they missed.

Honored Contributor

@781Florist Thank you for that quote, that's when I bawl. And love Greer Garson in anything.

Valued Contributor

Another favorite scene is when the father is trying to explain to the mother where her sons are (all around the world!) using a map.

She brushes the map aside and says "I know where they are.  They are in the house!"

Motherlove.