Honored Contributor

Re: How Dare Ryan Gosling Pay Tribute to His Wife?!!

The points made in the article regarding disparities in roles and pay for men and women in Hollywood are probably valid. That's been a public issue lately among some actresses. As are the points about women being taught to be selfless, in my experience and observation that's still so true. Bravo to the parents who are teaching boys to be selfless. Selflessness should not be a gender dependent quality.

I thought his speech was a lovely tribute to her. As far as him marrying her, well maybe that's a decision both have made and agreed to. Wouldn't be my decision but I'm not them.

It still would be nice one day to see a woman win such an award and thank her husband or partner for staying home and raising the kids and caring for sick relatives. Maybe such a speech has happened and I just dont remember. I'm sure it does happen often in pairings of two actors who work quite a bit. They trade off working so that one can be home.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

What exactly did Eva 'sacrifice'?  Perhaps that's the crux of the ire right there..............

IMO it doesn't really matter.  Whether we agree with it or not, he said some praising words about her which he should be allowed to do during his speech and there was nothing sexist about it.   

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of the article either.  For me, I believe he was referring to in addition to caring for their two children she was also helping her brother get through a terrible and unfortunately in the end terminal illness.  That had to be an incredibly difficult thing for her to do especially with him being away and I thought his speech and tribute to her was lovely.