Honored Contributor

Housewife Kenya Moore, 47, Welcomes First Child — Daughter Brooklyn Doris — After Pregnancy Complica

[ Edited ]

The Real Housewives of Atlanta alum, 47, gave birth to daughter Brooklyn Doris Daly at 9:39 a.m. ET on Sunday, Nov. 4, PEOPLE can exclusively report. The baby girl weighed 5 lbs. and 12 oz.

It’s the first child for Moore and husband Marc Daly, who gave their daughter a name that holds special meaning.

“Brooklyn because that’s where we met and fell in love, and Doris after my grandmother who passed away last year and who raised me,” Moore tells PEOPLE.

The new is doing well and “Brooklyn is very alert and active,” but the happy news also comes after scary few days for Moore.

The former Miss USA, who conceived through in vitro fertilization, gave birth via emergency cesarean section after revealing on Oct. 27 that she had tested positive for preeclampsia — a pregnancy complication that caused her to gain “17 lbs. in ONE week due to severe swelling and water retention, high blood pressure, and excess protein in urine.”

Preeclampsia typically develops suddenly in women who previously had normal blood pressure after the 20-week pregnancy mark, according to the Mayo Clinic. Left untreated, preeclampsia can have fatal consequences. The most effective form of treatment is delivery, something Moore said she was considering.

“This is NOT normal,” Moore wrote on Instagram. “Baby is fine but if [test] come back higher #babydaly will have to come same day.”

“Staying positive,” Moore added. “To my pregnant sisters please go to your visits and tell the doctor of any drastic changes. Thank God I have great doctors.”

“If you want to make God laugh have a plan…” she added on Saturday night, captioning a hospital bed selfie. “Won’t be long now. Pray for us 🙏🏾 #babydaly #weloveyou #prayers.”

Moore announced that she was pregnant during the first part of the season 10 RHOA reunion.

“I’ve waited 47 years for this moment,” Moore told PEOPLE at the time. “I didn’t really want to announce it too soon because I feel it’s very early on in our pregnancy. But I have suffered so much in my life when it comes to wanting a family around me. So this is the day I’ve been waiting for my entire life. It’s a dream come true.”

Fans of RHOA are well aware of the struggles Moore referred to. The reality star has been open on the hit Bravo show about the estranged relationship she has had with her mother (the two haven’t spoken in years), and the isolation she has felt because of that.

https://people.com/parents/kenya-moore-gives-birth-to-daughter-exclusive/

08DBC61C-0C80-49CA-8363-AB7EEF0E1166-75627-000044FA271AA4FB.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Housewife Kenya Moore, 47, Welcomes First Child — Daughter Brooklyn Doris — After Pregnancy Comp

Oh mama.............she looks awesome for 47 !!  Best wishes to her and baby.

Regular Contributor

Re: Housewife Kenya Moore, 47, Welcomes First Child — Daughter Brooklyn Doris — After Pregnancy Comp

So very happy for her!Wishing her the very best, she very often spoke of her life missing a mothers love,May this be a healing for her as well...

Honored Contributor

What a beautiful gift...I am sure that little one will be well loved.  Wishing the new family much happiness.

Trusted Contributor

I'm so happy for her! She's wanted this for so long. Her husband is handsome! They're a good-looking pair.

Honored Contributor

I am very happy for Kenya and her husband. I know she really wanted this baby so badly.  

Honored Contributor

https://animatedimagepic.com/image/congratulations/congratulations-6341.gif