Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

JamandBread, I have not watched My Family and Other Animals.  The Corfu show did highlight Gerald Durrell's great love of animals.

Yes. Gerald grew up to write 3 autobiographical books upon which The Durrells in Corfu is based. The original miniseries is from 1987- I do believe I may add it to my beach vacation "must watch" list!

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

JamandBread, I have not watched My Family and Other Animals.  The Corfu show did highlight Gerald Durrell's great love of animals.

Wanted to add that it was Lawrence Durrell (Larry) who intrigued me quite a bit since I came of age when it was daring -- let me repeat myself, daring -- to read his tetralogy The Alexandria Quartet.   For my group, it was like reading Lady Chatterley's Lover.  

I Googled quick. I had no idea he wrote anything, really. It looks like these books are about war in Egypt, told from 3 different perspectives? Were they risque? Should I add to my reading list?

Honored Contributor

Oh yeah, they were risque for the times.  Since I read them six decades ago, I don't remember much but the experience of feeling so modern and daring.  

Larry (as shown in the PBS series) always had a lively interest in sex and "naughtiness."  Remembering his tetralogy, all I could think when I saw those scenes was "I know where this is going."  LOL 

Trusted Contributor

@JamandBread Thanks for mentioning this as I would have probably missed it.  

& don't know why but this reminded me of the movie Cher was in where she & several other ladies helped raise a young boy, called something to do w/Mussolini.

Trusted Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@JamandBread Thanks for mentioning this as I would have probably missed it.  

& don't know why but this reminded me of the movie Cher was in where she & several other ladies helped raise a young boy, called something to do w/Mussolini.

Yes, great movie called Tea With Mussolini!

Honored Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'm going to be checking out what appears to be a new season of several Masterpiece mysteries. Grantchester hasn't inspired the past few seasons and I found Miss Scarlet and the Duke less than scintilliating, but given the dreadful state of television and my lack of willingness to pay more for streaming, I'm hoping these series will be better than current offerings. Hotel Portofino looks to be both interesting and visually appealing.

I've tried, but I can't get into the Masterpiece mysteries. There was one, set in Iceland? Norway? which I watched to the end, but it was just, eh.

I've dropped a lot of streaming, including Hulu, but wish I'd waited so I could watch Gaslit.

Portofino looks promising and definitely visually beautiful.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Thanks @JamandBread, hope it pans out for both of us. Heaven knows, TV needs to be more entertaining! So much wasted potential, which is such a shame.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@golding76 Old English major here. I read the Alexandria books when I was in college. I loved them and still have the paperbacks in my library. It was the late 60s, I knew everything and enjoyed myself in the way that we did at that time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hotel Portofino

[ Edited ]

I plan to give it a go, but so much of PBS productions of late are, in a word, awful.

Miss Scarlett was inane. Disliked each and every Durrell, found some annoying, and others cringey. Grantchester has lost it's charm. Endeavor is still enjoyable, the characters interesting and well cast, but this will be the last season, unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

I have Hotel Portofino on my DVR.  It is on before the new season of Endeavor which is also on my DVR.  I am thrilled to see both shows and I am sure I won't be disappointed in Hotel Portofino.  This is my go to channel for great TV offerings and has been for decades.  The acting, settings, story lines rarely disappoint.

Trusted Contributor

Just a reminder for those who have interest.

Tonight, episode 1 on your local PBS station. 8 EST.