Trusted Contributor

Homeland - Series Finale 4/26/20 - SPOILERS

[ Edited ]

Did anyone else watch it?  After all the years of espionage & personal trauma Carrie finally ends up in Moscow living with Oleg.  And then sending a message back to Saul in the US.  I did not see that coming!   I think her guilt in compromising the last Russian double agent got the best of her.  Personally I found Carrie's character to develop more & more in an unlikeable fashion as the years went by.  My heart broke last night when her sister appeared at Saul's & reminded us all Carrie has had zero contact with her daughter.  In order to "save the world" throughout her life she completely forfeited the most precious relationship of her own child.  Carrie has always been able to compartmentalize relationships in a secondary way to the greater good of a mission.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Homeland - Series Finale 4/26/20 - SPOILERS

I watched it.  I think the beginning showing Brody saying everything he was doing was for his country and that he loved his country was a warm up to make us sympathize with Carrie who was doing everything she did for her country.

However I could not understand how she turned on Saul.  She did redeem herself in the end.

All in all I think it was a satisfactory ending to a fascinating show.

Respected Contributor

I thought the finale was perfect. It really took it full circle with Carrie being in the same position as Brody ...  I would have liked it if they would have explained her book a bit and what she wrote about. But all in all I thought it was very good. 

Respected Contributor

@nova wrote:

Did anyone else watch it?  After all the years of espionage & personal trauma Carrie finally ends up in Moscow living with Oleg.  And then sending a message back to Saul in the US.  I did not see that coming!   I think her guilt in compromising the last Russian double agent got the best of her.  Personally I found Carrie's character to develop more & more in an unlikeable fashion as the years went by.  My heart broke last night when her sister appeared at Saul's & reminded us all Carrie has had zero contact with her daughter.  In order to "save the world" throughout her life she completely forfeited the most precious relationship of her own child.  Carrie has always been able to compartmentalize relationships in a secondary way to the greater good of a mission.  

@nova

Your summarization is excellent.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny  Thank you!  That was very kind of you!  I just love complex psychological stories & characters - goes back to my studies in my college years.  lol

Respected Contributor

@nova 

Homeland is one of my all time favorite series.  I agree with everything you said.  I thought they drug out several episodes in Season 8 but overall thought it was great.  I loved the ending and had no idea what to expect.   

If you haven't seen Prisioner's of War, the Israeli TV series that Homeland is based on, find it and watch it.  It too is excellent.   The writers and creators of it left it hanging after 2 seasons to come here to do Homeland.   I keep hoping they will finish it but doubt after all of this time, that will happen.  I watched it on Hulu about 10 years ago when it came out.  So good.

Respected Contributor

It was great season finale! I also watched the original Prisoners of war ( Hatufim) and it was amazing!

For those who likes espionage series there is French one Buraeu of Legends or The Buraeu. I think it’s on YouTubeTV. Excellent show!

Contributor

Shock & awe! 

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal  I just might do that!  Thank you for the suggestion. Smiley Happy