Honored Contributor

Re: Holocaust Memorial Special Tonite 1/31

Disturbing levels of antisemitism have long been tolerated on university campuses.  Multiple news outlets-- among them--  P.B.S., Forbes, Fox, Hadassah Magazine, the Wall Street Journal, USNews,  KTLA--   and other groups including the ADL, report heightened levels of toxicity in colleges, with many Jewish students encountering antisemitism on campus.

Forbes quotes a survey by Brandeis that found, tragically, many Jewish students feel like they must hide their Jewish identity while on the college campus.

It's unutterably sad that this recurs with every generation across the world, and especially horrible that it is given refuge in places of higher learning, charged with educating youth.

Respected Contributor

Re: Holocaust Memorial Special Tonite 1/31

CBS on demand.

@Shamus. I've never heard of this, but I grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. There was a seperate country club, but that no longer exists. It was a very small Jewish community; everyone knew everyone else. No one ''passed."

However, I didn't know I was hired as the token Jew in a school system in a town south of Boston. I have blonde hair and green eyes and a common German name. But since I was from New York I had to be Jewish.  When I was given a hard time after I didn't work on the High Holy days, I quit. I stayed out at the request of the other Jewish teachet who said there were some Jewish children who were given a hard time. He was a townie so knew what was going on.

There was a student teacher from Harvard. She was not Jewish but was also given a hard time. She finished at another school. Maybe they thought if you were at Harvard you might as well be Jewish.