Honored Contributor

Re: Holocaust Memorial Special Tonite 1/31

Honored Contributor

Suddenly I remember something I have up in my kitchen....

"The further backward you can look...the further forward you can see."  Winston Churchill..

There are many times in this young country of ours, we'd do well to remember, from the atrocities in the past, in order that they will never happen again.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli   I'll definitely look for it. Remember the actual name of the show?

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

I saw it on Saturday night when it was on  CBS.  It was very good.  I mentioned it to my mom and told her about the high school kids that couldn't name a concentration camp and she said "Well, could you when you were that age?"   And I said yes--we were required to read The Diary of Anne Frank in sophomore english!

The stories from the survivors always make me cry--what resilience they have.  And as a world citizen, I have to make sure those stories are never allowed to vanish.  I  especially loved the 97 year old Tik Tok star!!

@DrKelli   We were required to read Anne Frank, too. I have plenty to say on the subject, as another poster asked why. I fear theis would get poofed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76   I grew up Jewish in the south . There were only 3-4 other Jewish families and one other family that were Jewish, but had changed their names and didn't let anyone know. They wanted to join the restricted country club in town and be included in the social circle attached to it. They never attended services, Sunday School or had Bar or Bat Mitzvahs. They were denying their history, background. How sad for them. 

When I started school, I realized anti-semitism was rampant. The other kids were hurtful and shunned us. They had been told I had horns and the child, at the desk behind me, started poking through my hair with his pencil and said he was looking for the horns. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

It has always been difficult for me to understand -- much less tolerate -- hatred of others. 

What does denying the Holocaust achieve for those bigoted and benighted folks who choose to do so?

@golding76   You forgot to add uneducated and feeling superior. 

Esteemed Contributor

A while back, I read “Fascism, A Warning” by Madeleine Albright.  I recommend it.  

I do note that there are more Nazi demonstrations around the country. A demonstration outside a world-renowned hospital in Boston.  Where a relative of my DIL, a young woman with brain cancer, was treated and saved.  And so many others.

After watching this late one evening, how could anyone sleep?  Quite a few demonstrations in another state.

There are some with hearts of darkness.  They aren’t happy unless they hate.  Assign blame to a minority group for all their “troubles.”  As a Catholic woman, I am aghast, angry, and frightened at what I am seeing.

Honored Contributor

Shanus, I was saddened to read of your treatment when you grew up in the South.  Ignorance and fear of the unknown -- especially when they are coupled with a stubborn sense of superiority -- foster this sort of malicious and insensitive behavior.  I hope much of your life after those cruel experiences and observing those of your faith deny it has been filled with the joy of your faith as well as with loving family and friends.

What doesn't sit well with me is this:  In times of calamity and universal danger, people tend to pull together, respect one another, thank one another for their presence and help.  Why does it take a catastrophe for us to remember this lesson of mutual respect?  Following the hard times, people tend to return to their silos of ignorance and hate. 

You know, when I was a young adult, I thought my generation had solved so many inequities that existed in the world.  And, of course, World War II made it clear that we were against anti-semitism.  Our Greatest Generation fought against autocratic power and anti-semitism (as well as the extermination of other disrespected groups of humans).  Look where we are again today.  We fought for civil rights, which are threatened once again.

Personally, I think much can be attributed to ignorance and the wide distribution of hateful thoughts on the Internet.  Lonely, twisted souls find others made from the same cloth, and they encourage one another's insane ideas.  Do not forget that too many have no guiding principles of kind and civil behavior to follow. 

Honored Contributor

A few moments ago the following account of anti-semitism was sent my way.  Someone and some group is emboldening people to do these heinous acts.  This was a very cruel, dangerous and unprompted act of hatred.

This is from Daily Kos:

The new year seems to have had a bad start, as hate crimes across the country continue to climb. Nationwide, states have reported surges in hate crimes targeting minorities. Even in the most diverse states, crimes targeting specific groups have increased.

In the latest antisemitic incident to make the news, an off-duty New Jersey snowplow driver was suspended after posting a video on social media in which he or a friend allegedly shoved snow toward Orthodox Jewish people last weekend, NJ.com reported.

The driver, identified as ______   _______, who at the time was employed by [a waste management company], is under investigation by Lakewood Police and the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, officials confirmed to NBC News on Tuesday. Authorities noted that they are investigating whether to pursue hate crimes charges.

“I was appalled and shaken when I saw this video. Not only was it cruel but it was also incredibly stupid and dangerous. The plow could easily have thrown chunks of ice or rock and seriously injured or killed either of the victims. I am glad to know our police department is investigating all aspects of this incident,” Lakewood Mayor Raymond G. Coles said in a statement.

The incident occurred on Jan. 29 when most of the East Coast experienced a massive snowstorm. In the video taken in Lakewood, New Jersey, two Orthodox Jewish men are walking when ______ and his friend, _______   ________, deliberately throw snow and ice at them with their plow. ______   and ______ then both laugh as they pass the men. Since the attack was deliberate, the victims are pursuing charges.

As the plow passes them by, it dumps snow on them. _________ posted the video on his Facebook page with the words: “This one’s for you _ _.”

Trusted Contributor

^^^they need the book thrown at then. What they did was a classic example.of a hate crime. Idiots.