Honored Contributor

Hollywood and the "Little People"

No doubt this is a minority viewpoint, but I loathed the whole "let's surprise the tourists and bring them out on the Oscar stage under a false pretext" stunt.

The producers probably thought this would be an inspired and hilarious bit of performance art.  To me it is richly symbolic of the divide between Hollywood and "real" people, and the condescension that is displayed toward those who do not inhabit the Tinseltown world.

Putting the initially confused tour people on display on the stage, and assuming they would be nothing but delighted (some were) to be confronted by the front row of nodding, lacquered celebrities strikes me as a peculiarly "Marie Antoinette" moment.

For all their vaunted "sensitivity",  present-day Hollywood continues to strike me as insular, cloddish and clueless. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hollywood and the "Little People"

Amen

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Keyword: Condescension.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

So glad I missed that supremely condescending moment... How arrogant for them to assume everyone else would be as in thrall to them as they are to themselves...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

It seemed to me some of the people on the bus were in on it.  Especially the first two who were going to get married. They stood up with Denzel.They seemed to be "in awe" of the celebrities in the front row .  Jimmy Kimmel seemed to focus too much on this couple and not the other people. Like these celebrities are  the" be all, end all".  So fake.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patnap

@patnap wrote:

It seemed to me some of the people on the bus were in on it.  Especially the first two who were going to get married. They stood up with Denzel.They seemed to be "in awe" of the celebrities in the front row .  Jimmy Kimmel seemed to focus too much on this couple and not the other people. Like these celebrities are  the" be all, end all".  So fake.

ITA. The first couple got all the attention,  the rest were almost ignored.  Well the awards got a lot of flack last year for not paying enough attention to AA, so they went overboard this year.  It so political.  They practically ignored Mel Gibson,s film, which was true and better than Moonlight or La La Land.  A true hero, saved 75 lives in one day without a gun or killing Anyone.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Agree with op, like animals in the zoo, look how they dress, quick take a picture, we may never see a real person again.

Esteemed Contributor

Just shows you how out of touch with reality HollyWEIRD really is.

Couldn't pay me to watch this mess!

Frequent Contributor

I bet all those celebs in front row were looking for a bottle of Purell hand sanitizer after they shook hands with the little people. LOL!

Honored Contributor

That's ridiculous.  They didn't pull them out of a mall, they were on a bus tour of Hollywood so of course it was a big deal for them.

I thought it went on too long, and I believe they could hear where they were while they waited on the other side of the door -- but I see nothing condescending about it.  They wouldn't have been on the bus if they weren't interested in Hollywood stars.